• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wheel lugs - reuse or replace?

Jeff76

Loc.
Alpharetta GA
Reassembling a hub / disc assembly on a '76 D44.

Should I reuse the wheel lugs if they look OK, or is it a good policy to just replace them every time the disc is removed?

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Price out some chrome wheel lug nuts and the answer is simple!

They should last as long as the truck. I apply some antisieze to the studs to insure they last and that they come off without spinning the studs later on in life.

OP
OP
Jeff76

Jeff76

Loc.
Alpharetta GA
Price out some chrome wheel lug nuts and the answer is simple!

They should last as long as the truck. I apply some antisieze to the studs to insure they last and that they come off without spinning the studs later on in life.

Actually referring to the studs, and not the nuts. Concerned that when I press the old studs into the hub/Disc assembly multiple times I may get one stud that wants to spin sometime in the future...

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Jeff, I've never had any issues reusing studs that were in good condition so long as they're not damaged during the installation or removal process, aka hitting them with a BFH. Use a press and some common sense and all should be fine. The cast iron hubs/rotors are fairly soft in comparison to the stud and tend to do most of the deforming with respect to the interference fit. I've measured the knurl diameter on studs before and after installation and removal and there was virtually no difference, however the same could not be said regarding the hole the knurl engaged.