• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Water Temp Calibration

jboomer

Loc.
Havelock, NC
I installed a Centech harness a few months ago, but even when the engine is cool the peg on the temp gauge (stock cluster) reads 220'ish. Anyone know how to recalibrate it?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Have you installed a new sender? Also make sure all connections are clean and good both on the sender and the gauge itself. Any other gauges havng issues? If so then it could be time for a new IVR. If all else checks out good then you can adjust the gauge there are 2 small holes in the rear of the gauge and you should be able to see what looks like gear teeth take a small screw driver and adjust as needed. Of course I would suggest doing this with the engine at operating temp and also having either a known good mechanical gauge or a laser temp reader to verify the actual temps as otherwise your just adjusting the gauge with no referance.

OP
OP
jboomer

jboomer

Loc.
Havelock, NC
Yes, it's a new sender that came with the kit. All connections were cleaned on the cluster a couple months back when i pulled it apart to clean/freshen it up. It seemed to work fine before putting in the new sender. But, the old one was the "dipstick" type sender (original?). I guess I'll just have to pull it apart again so that I can re-cal it. I'm in no hurry to delve that far into it though if that's the case. Just got it running again! New wiring harness, added hydro-boost, and fixed a huge battery drain (horn). I've still got to install my new extended brake lines (came with my lift), add a parking brake cable extension, and pull the top for the summer. I guess I'll add recal the temp gauge to the bottom of the list, lol.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Might want to try the old sender or another one. As its probably just a sender issue. might try unhooking the sender and see what the guage does then ground out the sending wire and the guage should peg.
Also if sealant was used on the sender it may be causing grounding issues and giving a false reading.
But I would swap senders around before messing with the guage.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't remember a water temp sending unit coming with a Centech harness. You sure it was with the kit?
And what do you mean by the old "dipstick" style sender? As far as I know they've always been the same. Just two common Ford types that I'm aware of (for our vintage trucks anyway). One for gauges, and one for lights.
Could you have gotten one for the lights by mistake?

Not sure if the wrong one would peg the gauge, or leave it down on the bottom, but it's worth checking out just in case that's your issue.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What year is your Bronco boomer? And is it a six-cylinder, or eight?

Paul

OP
OP
jboomer

jboomer

Loc.
Havelock, NC
It's a '75 with the 302.

Maybe it didn't come with? The old one was a pin about as big around as a pencil that extended down into the block and had a cap that held it in. The new one (I'm almost certain now I bought it to replace the old one) merely screws into the hole on the head.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I think your old one was a mechanical type that someone installed at one point.