• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Disk brakes worth the cost?

krisbassett

I was wondering............I know scary!!! If you have well tuned and functioning drum brakes are disk brakes worth the time effort and money? I still have manual brakes so I know just upgrading to power will be night and day but do I go ahead and put disks on at the same time or just put the power to the drums and be happy?

bax

Contributor
Old Member
hell yes. Disk brakes are better than drum.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Depends.

Bone stock with a correctly functioning drum brakes. Fine.
Going from a properly functioning drum to disk brakes will be no real difference most of hte time. About the only time it would show up is in heavy water, overload, and/or oversized tires.

Most "disk brakes are great" stories usually start with drum brakes that are wore out and are junk.

But if the brakes need work, disks are a great upgrade. Especially if oversized tires are used.

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
Dont really have to worry about brake fade with disc. So imo yes. I love it. I went from all wheel drums and no power brakes to front disc and power brakes and love it.

jasonb

Loc.
Howard City, MI
I had a 1970 with 4 wheel manual drum brakes, 3.5 lift and 33 inch tires. I put a power booster on it and it was a night and day difference. I bought all the pieces to put disc on the front, but after just converting to power I didn't feel I needed them. If I really jammed on them hard it would pull slightly one way or the other, but its really tough to completely eliminate that with drums. Also, I never drove it in a really hard rain, so I don't know how well it would have stopped when really wet.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I had a 1970 with 4 wheel manual drum brakes, 3.5 lift and 33 inch tires. I put a power booster on it and it was a night and day difference. I bought all the pieces to put disc on the front, but after just converting to power I didn't feel I needed them. If I really jammed on them hard it would pull slightly one way or the other, but its really tough to completely eliminate that with drums. Also, I never drove it in a really hard rain, so I don't know how well it would have stopped when really wet.

I too have 4 wheel power drums with 32's and 2.5 inch lift. It is night and day over the manual drums. I've been running that configuration for 10 plus years. I have the same problem with it pulling one way or the other when getting on them hard. I bought the booster and bracket to get me over the hump till I put my disc's on and just never got around to it because the durms were working so good.

I'm putting on disc's very soon but only because I have most of the parts now just sitting around and I'm taking the front end apart for a gear upgrade so figured why not.

Tim

shado72

I just converted my truck to an auto, and it seems like it wants to take off even when
ur foot is on the brake. I've got all the parts to convert over to disc with booster and plan
on doin the converision soon!! So I would recommend doin the swap if u have n auto.

Just my $0.02

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Drums are good enough if you keep them in good shape and keep pretty much a stock size tire. With power adders you may be able to stop your oversize tires but fade will still be a big problem. Adding discs to the front should be your first mod. Stock discs are even questionable with tires 35" and bigger. I always seems like we are more concerned about the go than the stop on our projects.?:?

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... OK I want too add my 2 bits worth.. My Bronco had the best drum brakes it stopped great. I had my Disk set up gathered up for 2 years before I put it on..
... Why did I finely do the swap.
... Because one day I was in town .. It was raining .. some one pulled out in front of me I'm running 40 mph ... I hit my brakes in a panic stop AND I WAS SIDE WAYS .. IN an instance.. I just knew it was rolling as our Bronco are short.
.. When I got home I got into my swap .. Yes Disk are well worth it.. Now I've played in the rain an it will STOP straight even in the rain..
.... DO IT, THE ENGINEER'S CAN'T BE WRONG SINCE 1964.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
If for no other reason, there's no need to adjust disc brakes. I run front disk/rear drum with a vacuum booster; I can lock up my 37s if I try. Having driven a Bronco with hydroboost brakes though, I somewhat regret going to vacuum boost.

Like the others said though, with stock-ish sized tires, properly functioning drums are fine even manual. I drove my Bronco for a few weeks in stock config before tearing it apart and rebuilding with a lift and big tires. It was fine. Really depends on your setup and what you want to do with it.

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I swapped in front disc's after I went off road & took it through a small wet mud hole. I came out the other side hit the brakes & the drums were wet. I stopped when I hit a stump & I caught it right between the stroppe bumper brace & the frame end. the brace worked & the bumper just barley touched the fender. Without that brace I'm sure it would have done major damage. My drums worked good on road I just wanted to upgrade. After installing them I will put front disc on any other Broncos I may own in the future. I don't think I need the power option but if its got it thats cool too.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
My drums were in good shape and stopped with no problem,unless it was a panic stop ,then I had to guess which way it would pull. With the disc I can apply the brakes with my hands off the steering wheel and it stops straight.
I don't have any power assist and at this time have no plans to change it.

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
Disk brakes are one of the best mods I did. Like others have mentioned, when wet, drums can be unpredictable. Disk brakes are also easier to modulate. I never had a problem locking the brakes with drums, but doing that ADDS to your braking distance. You want to be at the edge of lockup for best braking performance. Disk's let you do that much easier.

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
For me it's a safety items and with 4 kids (3 of them little), if one item is 1% safer than another, it's going to be swapped for the safer item. Their is no doubt that disks are safer. I really don't know if 4 wheel disks makes a difference in the grand scheme of things. The reality is you gain a lot of control just converting the front, but I went with disks on all 4 corners, because of my 1% rule.

flipg40

I just bought my first bronco... In all my years of driving this road I've had very few pull out in front of me. Now I got the bronco with all drum brakes I've had to stop quickly on about 3 occasions. Each time it was pretty intense on my nerves. Granted, I think my drums are about wore out but I'm trying to learn the process to convert to disk brakes without costing 1700 for the kit from Tom's bronco's.

ahansen_1985

Bronco Guru
Loc.
amity, oregon
Easiest/cheapest way, get a front d44 that's already disk, the go to ruff stuff specialties get their weld on bracket for your 9", a set of Chevy calipers, a set of ford rotors, turn your axle shaft flange down to fit rotors. New master off a 79 Lincoln mark v and you have 4 wheel disk brakes..... Rear can be done for right around 200 bucks all brand new stuff,

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?5q0ynb
1966,351,m5od,205....3.5" lift, 2" body, 35's,

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Easiest/cheapest way, get a front d44 that's already disk, the go to ruff stuff specialties get their weld on bracket for your 9", a set of Chevy calipers, a set of ford rotors, turn your axle shaft flange down to fit rotors. New master off a 79 Lincoln mark v and you have 4 wheel disk brakes..... Rear can be done for right around 200 bucks all brand new stuff,

Andy should go into business as a 4 wheel disc salesman!!!;):p;D