• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Last minute Frame Prep ?'s

74lumenaire

Loc.
Clarkston
I was gonna have my frame blasted and hot dip galvanized then paint with POR 15, Other than double shock hoop on front, what else does a guy need to weld on or do to the frame before this process? Are the single shocks in the back good enough? The EB has a 4 inch lift, will be getting a 2 inch body lift and i dont think anything will change other than maybe later going to a 5.5 inch lift, but that probably wont happen! Not going to "wheel" much mostly a daily driver!!

OP
OP

74lumenaire

Loc.
Clarkston
factory thinking about rebuild from WTOR, i think the trac bar bracket bolts on dont it? Its been a long time since I tore it apart!!

Broncitis

MEB Founder
How much do they charge to hot dip galvanize a frame?

Where are you getting that done?

There is a good chance there is a lot of rust under the triangular gusset on the stock rear shock mounts. They tend to hold crud in there and rot the frame between under the mount. I might cut those off, check/repair the frame, and weld fresh ones one before I dipped it.

I also make a laser cut track bar support that I install on all my modified bulilds. This prevents the trac bar from ripping the frame like a can opener. I have seen this happen many times on the trail and on vehicle with larger tires. The stock mount is one of the weakest points on the frame. I also do not recommend track bar drop brackets for this reason, even with a gusset. The added leverage of a drop bracket only amplifies the stress at this weak point. I use track bar risers at the axle end, or custom/adjustable trac bars instead which serve the same purpose without adding additional leverage at the frame mount.

If you are going to run larger tires and/or off-road with it, I would definitely also recommend adding a reinforcement plate to the inside (and possibly the outside as well) of the frame at the steering box mount. You will need to knock out the stock U-shaped sleeves inside the frame and install heavy wall tube sleeves instead. The stronger sleeves and plates will prevent crushing the frame at the mount which is also very common.

Here are a few pics of the trac bar gussets I make installed on a customers rig I built. There's also a few pics of the steering box plates I fabed for it.

Attachments

• CIMG4723.jpg
    CIMG4723.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 163
  • CIMG4658.jpg
    CIMG4658.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 157
  • CIMG4645.jpg
    CIMG4645.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 155
  • CIMG4556.jpg
    CIMG4556.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 142
  • CIMG4775.jpg
    CIMG4775.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 145
  • CIMG4777.jpg
    CIMG4777.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 148
OP
OP

74lumenaire

Loc.
Clarkston
Spokane Galvanizing in Airway Heights, WA, They charge about $350 to do everything! They require it be sandblasted within a week or two of being dropped off, and have a two day turn around time!! I talked to Nicks Trix alot about it and I think this is the way I want to go, I can't figure any other way to coat the inside of the frame!

Heus33

Bronco Guru
You wont need POR 15 after you galvanize. It wont stick. Galvanizing should be all you need.