• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

shock jock vs. rear inboard shock mount?

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I like the inboard shock mount, but then I may be a bit biased, if you look at my windshield.

Attachments

• img_6677.jpg
    img_6677.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 467

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I have both! Only using the shock jock but the inboard mount is still welded in there. I tend to think the handling is a bit better with the shocks mounted as far outboard as possible - granted both styles mount the shocks at considerable angles which minimizes their effectiveness (shocks work best vertical). I can't stretch my rear shocks all the way out (fully extended is 36") and there is no bind up or down, so I think the shock jock works best for me.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I'm running the inboard rear mount on my 72 with lengthened radius arms & don't like the body roll on the street. It flexes great out playing. I'm planning on swapping back to outboard rear shocks. I've heard some guys have good luck inboard with the higher end bilstiens

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
I'm running the inboard rear mount on my 72 with lengthened radius arms & don't like the body roll on the street. It flexes great out playing. I'm planning on swapping back to outboard rear shocks. I've heard some guys have good luck inboard with the higher end bilstiens

Or maybe just a stiffer shock valving... Dunno how much of a difference it would make...

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I converted to inboard over a decade ago and never liked the amount of body roll it allowed.

I finally built outboard mounts last fall and noticed quite a difference.

My lower shock mounts are just below the housing but are inside the tire "track" so they won't hit anything. Much more vertical than the "leaning forward" dual shock design that's offered by several Bronco houses.

I run Bilstein 5165's.

My .02, go outboard if you are looking for street manners

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
The problem with tipping the shocks toward the inside of the body your not using the shock to its full capability. The flatter the shock the less it does. If its a mall crawler then stick with stock location

Broncobowsher

Total hack
inboard is less control but better articulation.
Mounting the shocks as close to the wheels as possible give the best control from the shock as it acts more directly for that tire. But mounted far outboard makes the shock the limiting factor for articulation as you can't cheat the articulation by using the shock mount as a fulcrum.

For street use, outboard is better. Even if it does sacrifice a little possible articulation on the trail. If articulation was more important you would be calling it a trail truck that sees some street action. But with daily driver priority, outboard.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I have run the Cross Ent. inboard mount for quite a few years and drive a lot on the street. I've never had a problem with excessive body roll.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I used to (still somewhere) have a chart that showed how the dampening effectiveness of the shock was negatively affected when the shock was laid at an angle forward and inward.

In a nutshell: it really reduces the ability of the shock to prevent body roll.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I read every degree a shock is taken past 15 degrees really starts to degrade performance. It is an exponential change after 15 degrees. So try to keep them as vertical as possible. The 'Jock will do this a little better than the in board can. You could run duals on tge in board mount to help with body roll....but...Of course the Jock is outboard and will provide better handling while not*being as stiff of a ride with only a single shock in place.
IMO the 'Jock is a better solution.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
outboard shocks are the way to go, poor street maners = poor trail manors. Think back to the F150 commercials from 2004/2005 when they went out board with the shocks, they are 100% right. shocks are for axle/tire control, they can't work if ther are swinging on a pivot in the middle. I'll give up some flex for more stability, proven time and time again to make things go forward far better on the trail, and street.

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
I have ran both.. The inboard does give you better articulation but it also makes it have more body roll. I now have mine setup on the outside going into my wheel wells. Less body roll and I still have good articulation.

My vote is to go outside and not do the inboard hoops.

kntr

Bronco Guru
Besides the Rock Jock option, what other options are there?

PaveBronco

It’s all a matter of shock angle vs. shock valving, obviously vertical is optimum, typically they are angled fore and aft to put some resistance to initial axle torque loading. With the shock hoop you have to weld some new lower mounts so you have some adjustment there, and you’ll prob need new length shocks. Grab a pair of Rancho 9000’s…or whatever they call them now, you can play with the adjustability to your personal liking. You will like the added articulation..

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
you can make your own hoops and lower mounts. best thing to do is build the hoop and mount and do a measurement. get a shock that works best wit hte legnth and overall travel. I am using my Ranch 9000 shocks as my bump stop in the rear and using the majority of the shock for drop out. the origional bumpstop is still in the picture, but has since been removed when I did my stretch.

Attachments

• image (14).jpg
    image (14).jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 132
  • image (18).jpg
    image (18).jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 125

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I was going to do that but thought the tire would rub on the shock. Does it clear? It just seemed that without cutting into the wheel wells it would rub.