• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Vacuum line for wipers

Dirt Reynolds

Loc.
Aspen
So the bronco I bought had the wipers and everything removed. I installed them back on but can't figure out where the vacuum line that is in the engine bay goes. Anyone know? Thanks

noslo5o

Wild Horses mouth 66-68 Broncos came equipped with two vacuum operated wiper motors at the windshield frame. They received vacuum power from the fuel pump. In our opinion, these never worked very good.

The 69-77 used a single two speed electric wiper motor with linkage to turn the arms and blades.

Most 66-68 Broncos have been converted to some type electric wiper system either by using stock 69-77 parts or with aftermarket kits like the ones below. It's worth noting that on the 66-68 vacuum wiper windshield frames, the holes for the wiper arms are in slightly different locations than on the 69-77 electric wiper windshield frame.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
From the fuel pump (look at the top if it is correct it wil have a large aluminum casting on top with two nipples). I think one went to the intake and the other to the wipers. The factory vacuum hose is very odd - it has a woven steel liner like a manual choke cable but on the inside. Anyway it runs along the drivers side fender to the base of the windshield then it passes through a hole into the windshield frame and comes out inside. Then it routes along the driver side of the frame to the first wiper, then a brass tee over to the passenger wiper.

They suck pretty bad.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
X2 on they suck... pun intended...

Hope you don't live where it snows!!?? This was the first mod I did on my Bronco...after one winter of scraping snow off the windshield with my arm out the window... yeah, another worthless idea Ford...

I converted to electric wipers and used the vacuum wiper holes....worked great and cleaned the e n t i r e windshield...back in '77... still converting to this day...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dirt Reynolds

Dirt Reynolds

Loc.
Aspen
i got them hooked up and seem to run fine even at idle. the guy i bought the bronco from gave me a complete electric set as well. is it pretty easy to swap? or should i even bother if the original vacuum ones are working fine?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
They will work the best at idle because that's when the vacuum in your engine is the highest...

Wait till you are cruising up a steady incline, raining hard, spray from other cars covering your windshield, and you step on the gas because you are losing speed on the hill.... yup, your wipers will STOP moving... gotta love Ford's design on that!

To swap, the electric wipers are set closer together (another good idea Ford, set the wipers so you can't see out of 8" of the windshield on the pass side... nice...) so you will have to extend the arm btw the wiper "posts". It's an easy swap and well worth it to keep the spacing on the vacuum wiper windshield frame. Somebody did a writeup on it a while back...I did it decades before the Internet gives us access to all these cool mods...

Try it first, see how inconvenient it is for your driving habits and then decide.