• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fluid capacities with added coolers.

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
I am installing 2x 18" dual pass heatsink coolers. 1 for the transmission and the other for the powersteering. Also a 15" stack cooler for the motor and 2 billet oil filters. All thru SS braided line. My question is the added capacities. I understand that the filters have to be a bit lower than the remote adapter so the extra oil stays mostly in the lines and filter and not flowing back into the oil pan where it would flood it right? The oil cooler is placed in front of the radiator so it is higher than the remote adapter and filters. Any problems that anyone can foresee? Capacity would be whatever the total is in the lines the cooler and the filters combined plus whatever it calls for in the manual minus what would have gone into the stock filter,right? Pretty much the same for the trans fluid and power steering fluid right? ?:?

ransil

Bronco Guru
Keep it simple ,buy a few extra quarts add until the dipstick indicated full.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
I am installing 2x 18" dual pass heatsink coolers. 1 for the transmission and the other for the powersteering. Also a 15" stack cooler for the motor and 2 billet oil filters. All thru SS braided line. My question is the added capacities. I understand that the filters have to be a bit lower than the remote adapter so the extra oil stays mostly in the lines and filter and not flowing back into the oil pan where it would flood it right? The oil cooler is placed in front of the radiator so it is higher than the remote adapter and filters. Any problems that anyone can foresee? Capacity would be whatever the total is in the lines the cooler and the filters combined plus whatever it calls for in the manual minus what would have gone into the stock filter,right? Pretty much the same for the trans fluid and power steering fluid right? ?:?

1. Oil filters have anti-drainback valves in them, so their height relative to the pan isn't that important.

2. Refering to #1, it's not that important about height relative to the pan.

3. Two oil filters is overkill and a waste of money. I have a remote filter on my Bronco and to be honest, I am probably going to get rid of it. All it does is move the oil mess farther from the engine when doing an oil change.

4. You don't need an engine oil cooler. Trans cooler is not a bad idea. PS cooler is not really needed unless you are building a rock crawler with a front locker.

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Getting 2 filters as the billet ones I got are smaller so I figured 2 would provide enough they are located in a way so that they wont cause a mess, I got rid of the stock PS cooler as I am cleaning everything up in the engine bay. New Champion radiator and dont want to use it as a trans cooler, and engine cooler will also help with towing, new AC and Fresno weather( this isn't breezy Campbell you know;D How do you like your Slots, by the way, still using the tires as rollers for a bit longer, I'm going 33"x10.5" KM2.
t1110_IMG083.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]