• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

manual steering column to auto?

krisbassett

I'm wondering how hard it would be to convert my 3 speed steering column to an auto steering column? I'm getting ready to put a 4r70w in my Bronco and I'd just as soon use a column shifter.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
A stock auto column will only have shifting spots for a three speed. How are you going to adapt that to work with the additional gears in the overdrive tranny?

As for swapping, it depends on what year auto you are using and what year Bronco you are putting it in. There were a few column changes between the years that will need to be addressed if the years are too far apart.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
A 4R70W has 6 shifter detent positions, same as C4. The only extra thing needed is a switch for overdrive cancel.

OP
OP
krisbassett

krisbassett

Yeah I was thinking that the c4 and 4r70 had the same amount of detents. The overdrive is part of the 3rd gear position and computer controlled isn't it?

OP
OP
krisbassett

krisbassett

Anybody know what parts I would need to convert my manual column to an auto?