• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Switched to BC Shorty's... now dip stick won't mount!

hollowch

Loc.
Midland, TX
I've tried bending the mounting tab back to the new header bolt location, but can't seem to make it quite reach while keeping the stick fully pushed into the pan. What have you guys done to remedy this "disaster"?

OP
OP
hollowch

hollowch

Loc.
Midland, TX
pics please - need to see dipstick tube

Don't tell me what to do!
bdcf2899.jpg

668a4c48.jpg

backpain

Bronco Guru
X2 on making one. If you can't get it tacked on you can make it wrap the tube and bolt it in clamp fashion. But if it's a push in, I'd pull it out, clean it up, go to work with the little fab project, paint it when done . . and it will fit in fine with that nice engine.

Looks like you have it fairly well placed b/t the 2nd/3rd ports - will it clear the primary tubes in that space?

You can definitely add/modify some bends in the tube to get it nearer the block and header bolt if needed. If you want to spend$$, the get a Lokar braided (flexible) one and be done.

If you want unique and fancy, search for billet anodized fuel line mounts and similar and you can find all sorts of mounting blocks and things that might help a custom bracket design.

Mr Gasket, Spectre, etc will have various chevy and ford chrome dipsticks at your local auto parts - you can sacrifice one for the chrome clamp on bracket if you find a model that uses the right length bracket (you can probably also find a $15 chrome push-in tube w/bracket for 302)

OP
OP
hollowch

hollowch

Loc.
Midland, TX
Got her all fixed up! Broke the old bracket off, trimmed it and re-welded it higher up on the tube. Also had to bend the tube in a bit to route under the primaries. Came out looking pretty good!

98baabac.jpg

bad63ba8.jpg

backpain

Bronco Guru
Perfect. Good header clearance design as well. Remember you have to play that fine line between getting a socket on that header bolt and having plug/boot clearance. May want to test fit all that before settling on the bend angle. Header bolts are a PITA.

And . . . don't kick yourself later that it's the only part not freshly painted! A little black rattle goes a long way.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
looks good, did you take the rags out of the exhaust ports, just sayin;D

OP
OP
hollowch

hollowch

Loc.
Midland, TX
. . . .is how this whole build started, right? :)

Lifter tick. Took off intake to replace lifter. Left paper towels in the intake ports. Turned it over and it wouldn't start (obviously). Lost compression on 4 cylinders... Decided to take it all out, worried I had broken something big.

And the rest is history my friends. =]