• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What's the trick with the hub axle snap ring?

Jeff76

Loc.
Alpharetta GA
Finally got the knuckles reinstalled yesterday. Installed the axles and spindles today.

Starting to reassemble the hub on the passenger side, and I'm not even close to being able to push the hub clutch mechanism in enough to get the snap ring on. It sounds like a hard metal 'clank', so don't think there is any movement to be had by getting mean with it.

In the past, I remember some in/out play in the D44 axle shafts. I think I could 'pull' the axle shaft with my fingers to get a little more length to work with. Not here. Don't seem to have any movement. I did have a tough time getting the axle aligned and back in the diff. Lots of wiggling and it finally seated.

Any chance I can get a bolt threaded into the end of the axle, so I have something to pull on? Anybody know what size that is? It looks something like a 1/2 inch fine thread?

Jeff
Any other tricks?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Put a pry bar between the axle yolk and the tube end and pry it forward away from the differential.
Did you put the thrust washer on the axle end properly before you put the spindle on? There is a large chamfer on the thrust washer and that side goes on the axle end first before you put the spindle.

OP
OP
Jeff76

Jeff76

Loc.
Alpharetta GA
Put a pry bar between the axle yolk and the tube end and pry it forward away from the differential.
Did you put the thrust washer on the axle end properly before you put the spindle on? There is a large chamfer on the thrust washer and that side goes on the axle end first before you put the spindle.

Yep, Washer is on correctly. Re: the pry bar, you mean between the axle tube yoke and steering Ujoint? Sounds right. Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC_0204.jpg
    DSC_0204.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 30

jray

I have threaded a bolt into the end of the axle as you mentioned and used it to pull it out to put the snap ring on. Can't remember what size it is.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
By the way, the pry bar trick was quick and easy. 30 second solution. Thanks!

I only had to use a Screwdriver on mine to get enuf play to get the snap ring on last weekend..

let me tell ya, was stumped for a while too till I made a call to a buddy, OMG.. talk about learning the hardway.. lol

OP
OP
Jeff76

Jeff76

Loc.
Alpharetta GA
I only had to use a Screwdriver on mine to get enuf play to get the snap ring on last weekend..

let me tell ya, was stumped for a while too till I made a call to a buddy, OMG.. talk about learning the hardway.. lol

Actually yes, a small screwdriver at that, since the rock guard at the axle yoke was tight.