• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Radiator Core Support Bracket

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
I want to add a second Optima battery on the driver side above the power stearing box and was wondering:

- What the ramifications would be if I cut out the angle bracket that runs from the radiator core support to the fender well (see pic). Ignore the ahooga horn and windshield tub as these will be moved or replaced.

- Will the battery (radiator core to fender) brackets from the pasenger side fit the drivers side, and support the battery box. These are the ones under the stock battery. If not I will fab some up.

I hate to cut stock steel, but sometimes there is no way around it.

Attachments

• IMG_1198[1].jpg
    IMG_1198[1].jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 118

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
That angled piece is not stock. At least I've never seen a bronco that had that. bout other wise I'd cut it out and move the washer resivoir and throw your second battery in there.

StnePny

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Santa Monica, Ca.
x2 on the angled bracket, does not look stock

And, the Windsheild Washer Box also does not look stock, it looks square (box-like), as where the stock one look tri-angle- r

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That is stock on a 77, mine had one just like it. I just drilled out the spot welds and removed it. With it gone you should have plenty of room for a second battery.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I bought that bracket new for my build but decided i didnt need it. I still have it laying around. So if you ever want to go back to stock you can buy that bracket new or save your old one.

mudstud

Contributor
Bronco Bonehead
That is stock on a 77, mine had one just like it. I just drilled out the spot welds and removed it. With it gone you should have plenty of room for a second battery.

I have also seen one on a 76.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
You can fit 2 optimas on the passenger side. less cables too use.

markperry

Bronco Guru
My 76 has it as well! Maybe you could do this.

bronco4811002.jpg

OP
OP
bronco t

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
Would removing that not allow the radiator to flex into the fan?

Greg

This was one of my concerns as well. Radiators an fans don't play well together.

If the intent of the angle bracket is to solidify the radiator core support then a removable metal strap dissecting both front corners would do the trick. Heck, most modern cars have this in one form or the other.

With that said... I like mattt's setup better. More dithium crystals.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I like braces, but don't think it's too much of a worry. None of the earlier years had it, and don't have a common problem of stuffing fans into radiators. Any more than normal that is! ;D

I added a dual battery tray over there on my '71.
My recommendation would be to make sure your battery supports go between the fender and core-support too, to get back at least some of the strength of the stock angle brace.

Maybe someone will have more info on if anything is different enough between the '76/'77 and the previous years in this regard. I hate to recommend something based on simple "assumptions" on my part.
But I'd think you're ok.

Paul

OP
OP
bronco t

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
Dirtdonk... We can only assume that braces were put on earth for a reason, and they should be respected. Lol.

As far as tying the core support to the fender... Do the passenger side battery mount brackets fit the driver side, and does anyone have one that they want to part with?

I could fab one up with my cheapie harbor freight break, or buy the whole set from a vendor, but being lazy and cheap is much funner.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Agreed. But in our case, for all we know Ford put the angle brace there so the core support had a better ground to the electrical system!
By the last couple of years they had probably finally realized that rust was an issue and the grille area stopped being connected to the body. Electrical-wise that is. ;D

When I did mine, I used 1x1 angle-iron and some flat stock. Used the flat to make tabs on the end of a piece of angle, then bolted it between the fender well and the core support on the fender's innermost edge. Then a second one was bolted to the first and ran cross-wise, across the remaining factory brace, and bolted to the inner fender wall.

Just bolted a stock battery tray to it and away we go. Took about an hour all told, and it served me well as a DD and trail rig for 20+ years. Add another 5+ years as a driveway queen, and it's been a good mod.

Paul

OP
OP
bronco t

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
I can't argue with real experience and 20 years of pure torture. So, I say... Off with the bracket. Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Give it some reinforcement with your new battery brackets, and you should be good.
If anyone can say for sure that a '77's fender setup is that much different than the earlier ones that it needs that bracket, then by all means let us know. But I'm thinking it's not that big a deal.

Paul