• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

radiator puking and hose jumping

wesleydax

What causes a radiator to push coolant from the over flow? I ran it about 10min today and it starts blowing out of the over flow tube. I shut it off and noticed the hose jumping and you can hear water bubbling in the hose.

question two: i recently changed the upper intakes and went with 86 fuel injection, my question. is it worth staying with efi or should i revert bake to a carb and go with a pertronics ignition. i have had noting but one issue after another since the convertion. the only thing we use this for is trout fishing and maybe around town driving every no and then. it does not see any of the hard stuff anymore.

OP
OP
wesleydax

wesleydax

how do i get it out? just keep running it and adding water till it settles down

fuzzy2133

Loc.
San Jose, CA
if you have a pressure tester could use that to pressurize the system (truck cold & not running) and when you release the pressure sometimes the air will go too.

OP
OP
wesleydax

wesleydax

ok ill give that a try tomorrow. i just ran it again and it blew out a little water and the top hose is rock hard. could it be the thermostat? its new

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
best way i've found is disconnect the heater hose from the intake manifold. fill the coolant system, and when coolant starts to flow out of the intake nipple put the hose back on and top it off. that's the highest point in the cooling system (aside from radiator), so there's all of your air. i've NEVER had a system overheat the way i do it.

Quick & Dirty

What causes a radiator to push coolant from the over flow?

If the system is completely full, the water will expand as it's heated and push out of the tube. That's normal. If you have a catch can, and the proper cap, it will suck the coolant back up when it cools. If you don't have an overflow can it will suck air back up and shouldn't puke too much out again, unless it gets hotter than last time. Without a catch can, you shouldn't fill the radiator all the way. Pre-catchcan radiators had fill marks on the tank.

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
If I fill my radiator to the top it will puke out coolant one time... after that its fine.

Greg

70_Steve

Old Guy
What causes a radiator to push coolant from the over flow? I ran it about 10min today and it starts blowing out of the over flow tube. I shut it off and noticed the hose jumping and you can hear water bubbling in the hose.

Do you not have an overflow bottle?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Did you change the pulleys and accessory drive as well? Or just EFI from the heads up?
Does the temperture rise steadly? does the gauge show hot?
Initial thoughts are low on water to start with.
Stuck (or backwards installed) thermostat.
fan running the wrong way due to belt change.
Even fan installed backwards in a correct install (blade scoop the wrong direction)
did you loose the fan shroud?

OP
OP
wesleydax

wesleydax

well i found the problem tonight. the thermostat was bad, although it was new. guess i had the h.u.b. sindrome. thanks for the help.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It's easy to get the thermostat pinched between the waterneck and the manifold. It needs to float inside the little pocket there. If it's pinched it won't open.