• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dual Fuel Pump

demesauce

Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
So I had an idea.... I had an electric fuel pump sitting around, waiting to be used. When installed my Bronco would sputter for a good 10 seconds after I turned it off. The mechanical fuel pump was still in placed and being used, so basically I had 2 fuel pumps working at the same time. My idea is to attach the electric fuel pump to the solenoid, so that it will only be powered when the starter is engaged. What do you think? The idea is I'd like the extra fuel boost when trying to start without cracking the motor forever.

The motor started much quicker with the electric fuel pump, just wouldn't die when I tried to kill it. Yes, I could add a switch to turn on/off the pump, but I'd rather not

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
No. That is a terrible idea on so many levels. A stock mechanical pump will not need a boost at cranking to pump fuel. My guess is that your stock pump has a broken diaphragm, letting fuel leak back out of the carburetor.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As stated, bad idea. If you try it in series the non-powered electric pump will be a major restriction in the fuel line. There are other complications that can occur as well.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
you ever experienced an under hood fire that destroyed a Bronco? wire up that fuel pump to the solenoid and video tape it for us.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just fix what's wrong or just use the electric pump and bypass the mech pump.

OP
OP
demesauce

demesauce

Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
I understand the possible restriction of having an unpowered inline fuel pump in the system. And because of that I'll probably just replace the mechanical pump, and remove the electric one.

But where is the fire hazard? The electric pump is only receiving power for a second or two. jw0747 I have seen a car fire, watched the vehicle burn down to the frame. But wiring up to the correct side solenoid will not do that.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
I had an old F-350 with a 390 that I built some saddle tanks for, the 17 gal. bomb behind the seat wouldn't get me out of town%) I had an electric pump in line for a boost pump when switching tanks when one ran out and never had a restriction problem.

I wouldn't use it as a boost on startup as your just covering up a problem with a bandaid.

Jim W.

John Marinan

Contributor
Loc.
Durango CO.
I've been running two pumps on my chevy for years. The electric pump feeds the manual pump. My mechanic put in on thinking I had fuel delivery issues. It turned out to be the hoses on the tank. I just left them both working. The pump is tied to the ignition switch. It sounds to me like you have carb issues. The bowls should remain full no matter how the fuel got in there in the first place.

Larry B

Loc.
Medford
do you have a fiber block under the carb to keep the heat from the manifold from transfering to the carb and boiling the fuel away when shut down hot.