• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wow! I'm lucky I spotted this!! UPDATE - SEE POST#11

kayakersteve

Loc.
Western NY State
Was doing a visual under my EB today because I put 600 miles on it this week and noticed that the crossmember for the T-case is almost unbolted!! On passenger side, there is ONE bolt left which is loose (I can wiggle this side easily). On driver's side there are TWO bolts left!

What size are these?? Do the bronco suppliers on here stock them or can I get at hardware store?? I assume there are nuts on the inside of frame they screw into??

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I forget the size. Either 5/16 or 3/8 national course. Get at any hardware store.
Nut is welded inside the frame.

OP
OP
kayakersteve

kayakersteve

Loc.
Western NY State
@ Broncobowsher - Thanks for reply - I was hoping I can get locally, so I can get back on the road without fear of my Drivetrain falling out. I will pull one of remaining three to get the correct size.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
3/8" 16. I too used grade 8 when I recently replaced mine.

Hopefully the weld nuts on the inside of the frame are still good ?

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Don't worry, the drive shafts will hold everything together for you ;D

I've never used any sort of thread locker on mine, don't be a nancy and put some torque on them...

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Funny you mention this Steve - my father called me this weekend, had something similar happen on his GTO - crossmember bolts let go, drive shaft and rear end toast. Time to upgrade his gears anyways ;D

OP
OP
kayakersteve

kayakersteve

Loc.
Western NY State
Update - Bummed

I got my grade 8 bolts today and was eager to install when I got home from work, only to find the the 5 missing bolts are actually broken off and solidly stuck in the nuts on the frame.

What to do - Try to drill and get them out, but will need to remove exhaust, drive shaft and may just barley have enough room to work.....

Or - Might fabricate some new brackets that I weld to the existing hanger and then drill new holes. This way I can get at it from the outside where I have more room to work.....My only fear is I would then use through frame bolts and am afraid I might collapse frame as I tighten them

Thoughts???

Amac70

ME
I have been using through frame bolts for years on my crossmember, 11 to be exact. Just don't over tighten them and use some lockwashers or nylocks.

mudstud

Contributor
Bronco Bonehead
Loc.
Excel
Left handed drill bits, penetrating oil and ease-outs. If the left handed drill bits do not back them out use the ease-outs.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
Personally, I would want to try to remove the broken bolts before I went with Plan B.

hucklburry rev2

grade 8 are more brittle, grade 5 are designed to stretch more before breaking.

Grade 5 is what I would want to use. The ones in there may be broken because they were 8s. How many marks are on the heads of the bolts that are left?

brewchief

I've had good success removing broken bolt by holding a nut over the broken end and using my mig welder to weld it on, the heat from welding helps loosen them up as well.

bigjhoov

nobody
1. e-z out or weld nuts if there's enough left to do so.

2. drill and re-tap.

3. sawzall solves all. ;D

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I would say weld for the win - the heat generated does a lot for the removal as well. Whenever everything else fails, welding comes to the rescue...

turbotim2

When I started my frame off and got to those bolts, 5 out of the 8 broke off just as yours have. I used a drill bit a little smaller then the bolt and drilled through them. Once through, and with the heat of drilling the remaing piece of the bolt (basically the threads) came loose. I ran a tap through to clean the threads up and reinstalled grade 8 bolts.

ol gray mare

If you go with through the frame, just drill the holes oversize enough to insert a tube that is the width of the frame and the appropriate diameter for the bolts in each hole. Weld them in place, grind them flush and torque the crap out of them. You won't collapse the frame.