• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Metal for gas tank?

krisbassett

Hey guys

Thinking about building my own gas tank and I'm wondering what the best metal is going to be? I was thinking about 16ga stainless?

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
That would be incredibly heavy & expensive. What's wrong with a common replacement tank, or a high-capacity version? They're tested, so they'll be MUCH safer, and your insurance company won't drop you if the truck catches fire.

OP
OP
krisbassett

krisbassett

For one I can duild it far cheaper than I can buy it and I can build it exactly like I want it. I'm not in the least bit worried about it catching fire. Even if it did my insurance company wouldn't say a word about the gas tank. The one that's in it now poses a far greater risk.

u10072

Bronco Guru
Can you weld aluminum? Find out what say Fuel Safe builds tanks out of.. they build a premier tank and would be a good benchmark. The aftermarket tanks are pretty poorly made actually and so not worth the money especially if you can weld.

ransil

Bronco Guru
I used plain steel nothing special can't remember the gauge right now 14 maybe, stainless would have been nice just a little more in price but i can't weld it and the tank may need changes made to it and plain steel is easier to work with.

cost for mine to get laser cut & bent was about what you would spend for a completed tank from a vendor, but mine is built the way I wanted it, with some assembly required. its been in the garage for about 7 months and I will be starting it soon as I just about destroyed my stock tank last weekend.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you go stainless, I would suggest 316L alloy with the "L" indicating low carbon. Whenever making stainless tanks that need to hold solvents, you want to minimize porosity in the welds so that the solvent doesn't seep through and the low-carbon alloys should help with that. While you can MIG stainless with either steel or stainless steel wires, I would suggest TIG for the best results.

FWIW, Bronco Bob has offered his tanks in SS for years and I've never heard of any issues with those...and I think he's MIG-welding them. If you seal the tank inside, alloy and weld method become less critical that it would be for bare stainless.

OP
OP
krisbassett

krisbassett

Thanks guys! This project will give me a chance to use my cnc plasma table.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good luck and post up what you fab as I'm sure others could benefit from your first hand experience on such a project.

patterdale

Bronco Guru
I wish I had the capability to weld either aluminum or stainless. They both would make excellent tanks but keep in mind sludge will still build up in them and the same goes for plastic. Your filter can still plug up with gunk it's just not rust from the inside of the tank.

WorkerBee

Loc.
Northern CA
I am currently building my own out of 18 gauge 304 stainless. It's not best stainless you can buy but I have access to a lot of it for next to nothing. Here's where I started and where I am at. TIG welding all of it.

I will be running the factory explorer pump/sending unit.

PM me any time with any specific questions.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 50
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 50
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 56
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 50
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
krisbassett

krisbassett

I am currently building my own out of 18 gauge 304 stainless. It's not best stainless you can buy but I have access to a lot of it for next to nothing. Here's where I started and where I am at. TIG welding all of it.

That is great man!! I am also going to use the Explorer pump and sending unit!! I'd love some close up pics of how your going to mount the pump!!

WorkerBee

Loc.
Northern CA
Thank you. Sorry I don't have anything better at the moment. The first picture was taken with my prototype tank. I cut out the factory tank's bolt ring flange. I plan on welding that to the recessed portion of my tank.

I know it's not exactly the best method but the factory bolt flange and seal is really nice. Probably better than anything I can come up with and I know it works.

I'll take some more pictures once I am done this weekend.

Attachments

• 2748.jpg
    2748.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 2759.jpg
    2759.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 41

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Nicely done, I really like the perforated baffles for fuel control.

WorkerBee

Loc.
Northern CA
Nicely done, I really like the perforated baffles for fuel control.

Thank you. It worked really well sloshing around water in the proto tank so we'll have to see on the finished product.

Those are Mig-tacked with stainless wire.

I don't even know if this is going to work. It could be a really shiny paper-weight.

OP
OP
krisbassett

krisbassett

That looks really good! Mind if I take a few ideas from yours? I don't have a tug but I have a very nice Lincoln 180 MIG. I'm running flux core wire right now. I have not gotten my CO2 bottle yet.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Workerbee, Nice work on the SS tank build.
Care to share the cut sheet that you used?

WorkerBee

Loc.
Northern CA
Workerbee, Nice work on the SS tank build.
Care to share the cut sheet that you used?

Thanks for the feedback Madgyver!

I'd be happy to share. I'll do a complete write up once I finish the tank and make sure it actually works well. I should be done with my efi swap in a couple of months. At that time I'll post all the details. I have everything drawn in Auto-cad but I can convert the drawings to pdf's.

My design includes bending parts on a brake so others may need to change things up a bit if they don't have access to those kinds of tools.

krisbasset:

use anything you'd like. no secrets here. I wouldn't recommend using flux core wire to build a tank. You'll want to minimize the porosity as much as you can. TIG is really the best option if you could find one. I dye tested all my welds with special penetrant and developer to ensure no leaks. so far so good. let me know if you have any more ??'s

OP
OP
krisbassett

krisbassett

Is love your cad drawings. I would be able to use them with my torchmate. Is even pay you for them!

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I'd came up with a young man ''Welder'' Who had moved to out town about 2 years ago I saw a diesel fuel tank he'd built.. It was aluminum and nice .. So we started the process on a Bronco tank .. But as fast as he'd moved into town. He was gone out of town..
.. His tank was going to coast me about 180 to 200 to build. His labor plus material.
.. I was going to ty and sell them for about 350.00.
.. I never got mine either.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
i've made a handfull over the years. i chose 16 GA s/s. lots of work, but very nice.

Attachments

• DSC02529.jpg
    DSC02529.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC04069.JPG
    DSC04069.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 36