• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Playin with Plasti Dip

OldBlue77

I came across some videos on You Tube the other day of people using this stuff and couldn't resist trying it. I had used it years ago in the cans that you actually dipped things in, but the aerosol cans open up way more possibilites. You can spray this stuff on and it is totally removable, the thicker you get it the better, it just peels off in a rubbery sheet. Search it on You Tube or check out their web site www.plastidip.com. I thought I would see what the wheels looked like black, and have been playing with different stripes.

Attachments

• DSC03141.JPG
    DSC03141.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 524
  • DSC03142.JPG
    DSC03142.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 487
  • DSC03144.JPG
    DSC03144.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 506

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
I have read great things about plasti dip. I like what you did makes the bronco look sporty. Think I'm gonna go buy me some cans tomorrow and play around with it:D

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
OldBlue77

OldBlue77

It's fun cause you can't mess it up. We will see how it holds up, but that is honestly not the point for me. I just like to be able to see what it will look like before committing to paint or powder coat.

HOJO

Loc.
Cedar Bluff, VA
I have used plasti dip on tools and it holds up pretty good with daily use , and nice work on the bronco, sporty..

cbautoworks1

Loc.
nashville
we use the stuff all the time in my shop. i have several customers that we have done wheels, tires, emblems, grills. its lasted 6 months and still going strong.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I was ;looking for sum the other day to try some two tone patterns on my bronco. Could only find it im white, black and clear. I wanted orange! Thanks for the link, i see they should have red, blue and yellow someware??

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I picked up a can of black and played around with it today. It is cool stuff and peels right off in a sheet. Its like baloon rubber. I did leard that the tape must be pulled immediatly while the paint is still really wet. I believe the trick is to shoot all 3 coats on at the same time not letting it dry between coats. Im not sure how you would paint a whole car at once and peel tape before it dries. You must have to do a panel at a time?

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
I did my bumpers and the rise of the hood the other day. Didn't take a picture of the hood.

Attachments

• 2012-06-04 18.43.23.jpg
    2012-06-04 18.43.23.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 205
  • 2012-06-04 21.42.18.jpg
    2012-06-04 21.42.18.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 698

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
I did my bumpers and the rise of the hood the other day. Didn't take a picture of the hood.

DAMNIT. More socks and sandals....

attachment.php

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
DAMNIT. More socks and sandals....

attachment.php

Asinor,

Last time I post this picture you or someone else said the same thing. Those belong to my 8 yr old son. We just got back from baseball, and for everyone to know all the kids 8-18 where SLIDES as I am told they are called not sandals with long socks. My oldest is 11 he wears them all the time, attached a photo after a basketball tourny. He is #55, he asked me to dye his socks pink for the tourny.

Attachments

• 2012-05-27 15.53.39.jpg
    2012-05-27 15.53.39.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 121

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
I'm just giving you a hard time. No need to get worked up.

Bumpers do look good by the way. I may try this on my spare tire carrier.

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
I'm just giving you a hard time. No need to get worked up.

I'm not worked up... Trust me I roll my eyes everytime the boys run out of the house with them on, with their flat bill hat on. Now even worse is they are starting to wear flat bill snap back hats which I hate even more.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
That dip your car site has alot of stuff. Anybody shot the gallons with a normal spray gun? I see plastidip is made about 10 minutes from my house (Blaine, Minnesota)...to bad they dont sell direct!:mad:

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
That dip your car site has alot of stuff. Anybody shot the gallons with a normal spray gun? I see plastidip is made about 10 minutes from my house (Blaine, Minnesota)...to bad they dont sell direct!:mad:

The few vids I have seen it looked like they used a power sprayer. I have not looked at a gallon of it before but I would think you would have to thin it way down to spray through a normal spray gun.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I played around with some two tone ideas. I also did the front FORD letters for fun. This stuff is cool once you get used to it. I think im gona order a gallon of orange and a gallon of green someday and shoot it out of a auto spray gun. Im thinking of making the white parts green, and the black parts orange. Not sure if i like the hood two colors or not yet?? The key is to spray on heavy and pull tape right away. If you paint a large area shoot the center first then shoot the edges, pulling the tape as you go.

Attachments

• IMG_1932.jpg
    IMG_1932.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_1934.jpg
    IMG_1934.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 159

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
I played around with some two tone ideas. I also did the front FORD letters for fun. This stuff is cool once you get used to it. I think im gona order a gallon of orange and a gallon of green someday and shoot it out of a auto spray gun. Im thinking of making the white parts green, and the black parts orange. Not sure if i like the hood two colors or not yet?? The key is to spray on heavy and pull tape right away. If you paint a large area shoot the center first then shoot the edges, pulling the tape as you go.

Looks great bknbronco... I am digging the side, already done my hood.