• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

disc brake conversion

jrp544

hi all, i am trying to decide if i can redo my little bro's bronco for him. i am a retired volvo tech. i am familiar with parts swapping from different years/models that fit and work. i am not a computor guy so navagating the forum is a little difficult for me. i would like to see/read a tech article about the disc brake conversions, ford or chevy to determine which is more available/affordable. my bro has limited funds, but my labor is free. he has a 1970 box stock bronco, at least i think it is a 1970. 3 on the tree, v8. not sure but i think a 302? could it be a 289? i don't know which axles etc. he wants to keep it stock as possible, but would like more safety in braking for the kids and when towing his little tent trailer. the engine was redone about 25yrs ago and only driven a few thousand miles before it was parked in his garage. i don't know how many times since then it has even been started. how do i get to the right areas here to read what i need to know? thanks to all who can help me with this. i would really like to see him driving that thing again. jp sorry if i am posting this wrong, please let me know.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
If he has a Dana 30 front end, the chevy swap might be the best bet, and those parts would swap to a Dana 44 front end if he ever needed too.

If he has a Dana 30 - which would have been stock in 1970, the Chevy conversion is his ONLY bet. The Ford swap will not work on the Dana 30 due to the knuckle incompatibility.

The best Chevy conversion article is here:

http://www.emotoman.com/disc/discbrake2.htm

Parts list is another link at the bottom of the above link.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Like he said look to your left and there are some links there to get you by. I'll give a little heads up here maybe some other will jump in.. It's been several year since I did mine.. I
m going to say the cheby swap is really the best but both will work.. Cheby will work on both Dana 30 & 44. yOU NEED THE 1973 & 1/2 up to 1974 & 1/2 .. Spindles off a Blazer or 1/2 ton chevy tr. You also need the backing plates from that same truck .. Also get the caliper from that truck to trade in as cores . As I remember the cores cost more than the rebuilt calipers do .. Get 74 blazer brake hoses to the calipers ... The Rotor&hub as. no is 2492. IT is off 1980 up Ford 1/2 ton .. 4 wheel drive ford truck or Bronco .. If you buy the Hub Rotor ass new they come with races .. But the bearing in them are A35 & A38 .. ''I think '' the seal is 4250 ... and the inside spindle bearing is SBK1.. Get your SBK1 from NAPA .. It has 4 parts the other brands have 3 parts in the box. Reuse your locking hubs unless they need to be replaced .. Use the cheby cheapest D52 brake pads .. ..
.... And 1st use your stock Master Cylinder with the stock H block. This should get brakes for you .. If not then .. Learn to read the search button..
... OH OH OH I FORGOT TO say you have to grind off the tops of the knuckles so your calipers will fit.. Sorry your going to have to search for that picture.. I did mine from the help I had on here.. But Also I'm an old parts man and I really remember those no. from the days when I just sold those parts.
........The reason I say the chevy set up is better is that the calipers stay square .. The stock ford will twist . I've have about 40 set turn and twist.. back in the day.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... After you get the disk brakes on the .. Search up the Hydro Booster and do this swap .. This swap will put your nose on the window shield the 1st time you stomp the brakes..10 Times better than the Vacuum Booster .. .. FInd some post by ''TOFIC'' ... He was the Guru on hydro's .. But I guess he's moved on..
... ''The Old Fart In Canada''...... great Guy .. had lots of good toys .

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Welcome aboard and good luck... Lots of good info on here...

OP
OP
J

jrp544

thanks to all for the info and suggestions. i will start my research now. jp