• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Aod high rev governor

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
has any one used a hi-rev AOD governor from transgo with the wide gear set?

I am building a second AOD, as I am tired of the first one! ?:?

no shifting to 3rd or 4th and I have disassembled it for other issues, caused by a simple mistake! and stripped some bolts on the oil pump cover and VB.

I am just wondering what to expect.

BTW, my cobrarized 5.0 with the 91 stang EFI rocks, It felt crazy fast off the line on first and second with my 4:10's and 33 km2's.

BUCKNBRONK

Loc.
fresno
dont have one, but just reading about it makes me think- no way not in a bronco- its going to raise your shift points to 5500 rpms. Are u planning to just run 1/4 mile tracks in your bronco? Either that or the sand drags is all it will be good for.

OP
OP
G's Baja Bronco

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
Wide Ratio Gears

dont have one, but just reading about it makes me think- no way not in a bronco- its going to raise your shift points to 5500 rpms. Are u planning to just run 1/4 mile tracks in your bronco? Either that or the sand drags is all it will be good for.

Buck, do you run the 4rw wide ratio gears in your AOD? My understanding is that they make 1 and second gear super short, the Hi-rev governor helps make them longer, not necessarily shift at redline.

I am also asking the guru at silverfox performance transmissions.:cool:

OP
OP
G's Baja Bronco

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
Thanks bucknbronco

dont have one, but just reading about it makes me think- no way not in a bronco- its going to raise your shift points to 5500 rpms. Are u planning to just run 1/4 mile tracks in your bronco? Either that or the sand drags is all it will be good for.[/QUO

well, after doing more research I found that I need the LOW speed governor. Thanks, you are right! maybe I can return it.

turn out that the wide ratio set raises the shift points.:cool::cool::cool:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
A high rev governor for an AOD but with a wide ratio 4R70W gearset will raise first and second gear shift points to even higher levels then the governor is set for. The governor watches the outpust shaft speed, if you have a lower ratio gearset then you will spin the engine faster in that gear to get the same output shaft (governor) speed. A 5500 1-2 shift with a high rev AOD governor and a 4R70W gearset (18% lower?) will raise the shift point to ~6500 RPM

No 3rd and nuetrals out in 4th. sounds like a direct clutch issue. Blow the hub or break the pencil shaft?

OP
OP
G's Baja Bronco

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
A high rev governor for an AOD but with a wide ratio 4R70W gearset will raise first and second gear shift points to even higher levels then the governor is set for. The governor watches the outpust shaft speed, if you have a lower ratio gearset then you will spin the engine faster in that gear to get the same output shaft (governor) speed. A 5500 1-2 shift with a high rev AOD governor and a 4R70W gearset (18% lower?) will raise the shift point to ~6500 RPM

No 3rd and nuetrals out in 4th. sounds like a direct clutch issue. Blow the hub or break the pencil shaft?

Change of plans, My buddy could not find me an Bronco aod at the pick yourself yard.

I have 2 choices:
1- buy a 89 aod out of a Bronco with 30 day warranty for 400.

2- drop my trans one more time, make sure I installed the Governor (trucK) right and check all things, helicoil damaged threads, clean BV and install Transgo kit. and install and test drive.

BBowsher, I read that I could have gotten the TV valve stuck by making it travel more than the TV cable would, also the a servo could not be hitting the 2" band.

what it does is: from a stop it seems to stay in second and when I rev it up it does NOT change gears or neutralize, is stays in the same gear. I can get 1st by dropping the shifter into low.

2- is it worth it to drop the BV, clean and install the transgo and test??:cry:

OP
OP
G's Baja Bronco

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
found this, looks like I am dropping the pan tomorrow, after I check the TV pressure with my new gauge kit! :D
"It is also possible that the TV valve in the valve body is stuck in the high pressure position. The easiest way to see if this is the case is to perform a TV pressure test as shown on our TV Linkage Adjustment Page.

Keep in mind when installing the Lokar TV cable with a carburetor, or when making your own TV linkage it is possible to push the TV valve in further than the factory cable allowed. If you are using a valve body with some mileage on it there may be enough of a ridge from the original range of travel to cause the TV valve to get stuck when it travels past the ridge."

OP
OP
G's Baja Bronco

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
pressure on the TV looks good, still no shifting out of second, can get 1st if I manually shift to low! I fear a stuck governor!