• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ram Assist mounting with TRO and no TB riser

chuzie

Bronco Guru
I have been scouring through the threads trying to find a good solution here and haven't had any good luck and I know i can't be alone.

I have a Tie rod over setup and no track bar riser. What is the best option for mounting my ram? I'm thinking that fabbing a semi-circular bracket to mount to 4 or so of the diff bolts is the only way to go and then welding mounting tabs near the 12 o'clock position.

Anyone have a better solution.

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
That diff cover is $116 which is too rich for my blood and my current geometry does not dictate the riser so I guess I am stuck with the diff bracket route.

BroncoDawg

Loc.
Bishop, CA
Buddy of mine who wheels his bronco hard came off his diff cover with a ram mount and works bootiful. Cycle the steering and take into account that the tie rod moves closer to the axle when steering so you weld your mount tabs correctly for clearance. Gonna love the ram assist!

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Talked to tom lee and they make the d44 mount for left or right side. It is bolt on and super stout. Only issue is my ram is so big my only option is to link at 12 o'clock position on diff. The price of the bracked is about equal to a thick cover so now I'm not sure what route I want to take.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would think the new cover would be the better deal since it would give you a solid mounting point for your hydro-assist cylinder as well as some ring gear protection. The bracket only gives you one of those things, but may require less fab on your end.

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
This is the guard I am running now on top of a stock d44 cover.

SPDR60.JPG

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
So bottom line, what are the pros and cons to mounting from the frame to the drag link?

nhopman

Mine is mounted to a bracket that is attached to the frame just in front of the cross member and runs to the drag link about 5-6" from where it attaches to the pitman arm. Works well, only problem I had was it put a twisting motion on the drag link and the jam nuts would loosen. Locktite wasn't strong enough to hold them and I ended up putting a small tac weld to keep them from turning, works well, but would make it hard for a field repair without a grinder.

Nick

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
How bout some pics for inspiration nick?

nhopman

the ram itself is positioned under the cross member

Attachments

• DSC_0907.jpg
    DSC_0907.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 96
OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Thanks. That may be my best option but I just dont want to put additional stress on that area since the 4x4x2 box is already beating the piss out of my frame.

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
the ram itself is positioned under the cross member

Questions...

1. Do you feel like the ram is exposed to rocks?

2. Do you feel like the ram is adding additional stress to the frame especially where the PS box is mounted?

3. My drag link (vertically) is just behind the plane of the back of the crossmember so I would have to have it at a slight angle. Is this the case for you and, if so, do you think it is adding stress to the drag link by pushing is forward / aft (flexing)?

nhopman

Ram seems to be well protected. I've hit and bent the tie rod several times, but so far not a scratch on the ram itself.

It doesn't seem to cause additional stress to the steering box or drag link and has worked well since being installed, but honestly, I've never actuall been under the truck with someone steering it to see what it does. I really wanted to mount it to the tie rod, but I just couldn't find any way to fit it in with the tie rod over conversion, but the ram kept getting in the way when turning or there was a danger of getting a hose or fitting pinched with the suspension cycling.

I'll see if I can get into the garage tomorrow and take some pics from different angles to better show how it is mounted.

Or, I should be at the Nov. URE run and you can take a look at it then and we can cycle the steering to see if you think there is extra stress from the ram. I'm sure you want to get it installed, but you've waited this long, whats another 5 months??

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
I suppose it would be pretty difficult to differentiate if the stress if being caused by the ram or the ps box. Is you frame @ the box reinforced?

Having it installed in time for URE is necessary as I only get one rock crawling excursion a year now that I live in Florida and waiting a year between tests is just crazy.

Thanks for all the info. I think we have very similar setups and I will likely run what you have done. Your advice is sound and knowing you personally and having seen your rig in action many times reaffirms my confidence in your position.

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Nick, Two final questions. How much suspension lift are you running and what is you PS box setup?

nhopman

I have a 1/4" plate on each side of the frame where the steering box attaches for re-inforcement.

Box is a stock Bronco box that has been ported.

suspension is a 3 1/2" lift with Cage coils and long-arms.

Here's a few more pics that show the mounts a little better.
Sorry about all the dirt, haven't had time to break out the pressure washer after the Roundup last weekend.

Attachments

• DSC_0417.jpg
    DSC_0417.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC_0418.jpg
    DSC_0418.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC_0420.jpg
    DSC_0420.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC_0422.jpg
    DSC_0422.jpg