• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need Help! Which water pump Do I need?

COSCAG00

I have been working on getting my 351W back together so I can get it installed but have run into an issue.

I installed my water pump a couple of days ago and noticed yesterday evening the back of it has a hole. By this I mean that where it mounts to the timing cover part of the opening on the pump inlet is exposed creating an opening about the size of my pinky.

A little back story on the motor. It motor is a 84 model out of a truck but the serpentine system is out of a newer truck, I was told it was an 89. When I bought the motor it came with a water pump and timing cover, both were off the motor though. I installed the timing cover and made sure the water pump I had would bold up and then took it to the parts store to get a matching one. So I really don't know if that is the correct water pump for my timing cover or not.

What I do know is that the timing cover is not quite big enough for the water pump I have as the hole is right where the inlet is on the back of the pump. The water pump needs to be reverse flow for my serpentine system also.

So my question is do I need to get a different water pump? if so which one, or is the timing cover the wrong one. Everything bolts up nice except for that one spot.

Here are a few pictures of the pump and the hole on the back side. I hope I explained it enough. The hold is directly behind the top 1/2" hose barb toward the block.

Attachments

• Front of Engine.jpg
    Front of Engine.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 32
  • Side View.jpg
    Side View.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 27
  • photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Hole.jpg
    Hole.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
OP
OP
C

COSCAG00

Thanks Viperwolf that's what I needed. So it looks like the timing cover I have will not work with the water pump I bought. Looking at the timing cover for reverse rotation it has the upper web filled in unlike the rest of them.

Is there a reverse rotation water pump I can buy that will work with my non serpentine timing cover, or do I need to scrounge up a new timing cover?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Thanks Viperwolf that's what I needed. So it looks like the timing cover I have will not work with the water pump I bought. Looking at the timing cover for reverse rotation it has the upper web filled in unlike the rest of them.

Is there a reverse rotation water pump I can buy that will work with my non serpentine timing cover, or do I need to scrounge up a new timing cover?

I think BC has one that will work. http://www.bcbroncos.com/cooling08.html

OP
OP
C

COSCAG00

Ok so by using that pump it is reverse rotation but I can keep the passenger side output in stead of the driver side output Correct?

I need to get a radiator so I guess I need to figure out what side I Wang the output. If I change the timing cover I can keep the new water pump and have a driver side output.

Any advantage to using one set up over the other?

I am leaning toward the BC pump then I don't have to pull the timing cover and drop the oil pan then.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I don't see any big advantage of one over the other. Let your decision of radiator style be your guide. Keep in mind that a reverse radiator will require a different hose setup.