• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

yet another question how much play is ok 3 speed manual RAT trans output shaft?

Jeremy0201

Loc.
Tucson
I have two rat transmissions at the moment one has some side to side /up down play in the shaft the other does not. How much play is too much or should it just be rebuilt I was told it was in proper working order seems to spin and shift properly??? Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don't remember ever seeing that question come up myself.
And not sure of the answer either, but I'd say that the one with no play has the advantage here!

Not sure just how much play we're talking about here though. I've seen some play in just about all of them. Seems to met that the two locations for reducing that would be with the rear output bearing and the individual roller bearings at the coupling between the input and output shafts.
So, how much play are you seeing in the one trans, and what is the debate about using one or the other? Why not just use the one that you think is the better unit?
And when it comes right down to it, if you're not pressed for time too much, they're an easy rebuild. I did mine as the first gearbox I'd ever opened up and it went smooth and easy. Couple of small frustrating spots, and a couple of new tools I needed (and have used on other things too), but overall very straightforward.

Paul