• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Vent Window Pivot ON '73

73BBURG

Are any special tools required to replace a broken vent window pivot on my 73 BC. Or anything special I need to know before starting?

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
They can be a pain in the rear but if you take your time it isnt that difficult. Pay close attention to how the plastic washers and the metal washers come out. It will not work correctly if they are installed wrong.

You will need to remove the large glass to get the vent window out. Easily done by removing the bump stop in the bottom of the door. It lets the window drop down so the regulator will disengage.

Also, you will have to have the triangle window removed from the frame to replace the pivot pin. I took it to a glass shop which charged me $20 bucks to remove the glass and $20 to reinstall it when I got the new pins installed.

The pins are riveted in. I could not get the brass rivets to work since I didnt have the correct anvil to set them. So I used some stainless pop rivets to hold the pin in the vent window frame.

As I said... take your time and it isnt too hard. Get in a rush and you could screw it all up.

Make sure the glass is re-installed properly on the vent windows or it will not seal up correctly when you put it all back together... dont ask how I know. I wish I had traced out the pattern of the vent window on some card board before I removed the glass to I could tell if it was in the correct shape when I reinstalled it. There is a little play in the channel so it is possible to be out of square if you are not careful.

Good luck,

Greg

OP
OP

73BBURG

Thanks...I plan on trying on side tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
BTW... Nicks trix sells some stainles washers to replace the original ones. I made new pivot pins out of stainless so hopefully it will never rust out again. You will need to order new pins from BCBroncos or one of the others that sell them. Maybe Nick also sell SS pivot pins... if you can get them I would.

I dont think anyone sells the nylon washers so be careful with those.

Greg