• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Did I just destroy the transmission??? Help!

Shevland

Loc.
Paoli
I recently bought a 1966 Ford Bronco which is in really good condition. I just drove it for 2 hours and it handled the trip like a champion. However, once I arrived at my destination, I pulled onto a yard of small stones on sand and got stuck. I had a few guys push me out while I was in reverse and revving it pretty hard. They did get me out but now is where my frustration begins.

Since I got out, I can drive forward just fine. However, when I put it into reverse, it is making a rattling sound and not really moving in reverse so I can tell something is wrong. It almost sounds like it isn't catching in gear or something. Before these guys pushed me, I tried putting it into lower gears without much success so I am hoping it is just out of gear but the fact that 1st gear works fine makes me think that probably isn't it. I have warn hubs which I did not turn so is there any chance when I put it into 4th gear but didn't match it up with the hubs that I did some damage there or have to make an adjustment to get everything back in gear? I am not sure what to do.

I ran down the street to ask a mechanic and he said it sound like my syncros could be off which would require them taking out the entire transmission. I admit, I don't know a lot about cars which I wish wasn't the case but does that make sense? He said he would stop by and check it out later today but any information or things I could check before then would be great. Also, how do I know if the Bronco is correctly in gear???

Any help is always appreciated...thanks!

OP
OP
S

Shevland

Loc.
Paoli
The gears I have are 4L, N, 2H, 4H. I was assuming that for normal usage I should be in 2H. I did move it around to different gears to see if it would help me get out from being stuck but I am not 100% sure how to be certain I am in gear correctly. All I did was pull it all the way down to 4H and then try to move it up one which I would guess is 2H. I am hoping I am just struggling to get it firmly into gear but how would I know and how would I correct this?

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
yes you should be in two high but that doesn't matter. if it the 3 speed on the tree you linkage is bound up.

OP
OP
S

Shevland

Loc.
Paoli
Also, it is not 3 on the tree, it was converted to 3 on the floor prior to me owning the car. I am guessing that doesn't matter but thought I should add that info.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was assuming that for normal usage I should be in 2H

Correct

I tried putting it into lower gears without much success so I am hoping it is just out of gear but the fact that 1st gear works fine makes me think that probably isn't it

If it still moves foward the T-case is in gear.

I have warn hubs which I did not turn so is there any chance when I put it into 4th gear but didn't match it up with the hubs that I did some damage there or have to make an adjustment to get everything back in gear? I am not sure what to do.

No damage doing this, you engaged the t-case into 4 wheel but without the hubs turned to the locked position you still only have the rear wheels pulling/pushing

All I did was pull it all the way down to 4H and then try to move it up one which I would guess is 2H

Correct. Sometimes when it has been in 4H or 4L you will have to get the pressure off of the T-case by rolling foward, pushing in the clutch and then slide the t-case selector to the desired position, if it doesnt move easily do the same in reverse. All that you are doing is getting the pressure off of the gears and getting them to syncronize. Once you figure it out you will be able to slide it in and out of gear with no probs.

As for the rattling sound not sure, but check the shifter rods that go from the column to the tranny, those things can slip out might be the problem. Well forget this advice, I see its been converted. I would still make sure its not the connector rods

mudstud

Contributor
Bronco Bonehead
Loc.
Excel
If it is not going into reverse your linkage could still be bound as Skiddy has said. I had a 71 F-100 that was converted to three on the floor and it was notorious for this.

OP
OP
S

Shevland

Loc.
Paoli
This is all really helpful. Forgive me as I know it sounds stupid to most of you but what does it mean that "my linkage might still be bound." Is this something I could figure out by getting under the car? How would I figure this out and how would I be able to fix it if this is the problem. Thanks!

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
yes you can get under it (i will use my best grammer) and wiggle waggle the linkage going to the shifter

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The wiggle waggle method usually works but sometimes a hammer is required.;D

OP
OP
S

Shevland

Loc.
Paoli
So I went under the car and did my best to wiggle waggle which consisted of me just moving it back and forth a little bit. I doubt that I did it correctly. Is there anything I am listening for or looking for? Any particular sounds which would make you think it was done correctly?

OP
OP
S

Shevland

Loc.
Paoli
ALLRIGHT!!! Major development...I figured out the the rattle sound is due to the fact that after I put the car in reverse and start coming off the clutch, the shifter is actually sliding out of reverse and towards neutral. I just tried holding it in place to go in reverse and it did work without the rumbling sound so that seems to be the problem. This makes me think that I will not need a new transmission, hopefully that is right. Any ideas on why it would be slipping out of gear or what I could do to keep the reverse gear in place when I am trying to go in reverse???

OP
OP
S

Shevland

Loc.
Paoli
I will try to do that, it makes sense. When you say your "or your reverse gear is toast" what would I have to do if that has already happened? What type of repair would that be? I am going to try to avoid using reverse at all until I get a mechanic to adjust the shift rods like you recommend but thought I should know what the potential problem and solution could be. Also, how hard is it to adjust the shift rods and what would be reasonable to be charged for that?

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
adjust the shift rods so it will stay in gear- or ur reverse gear is toast

i kind of doubt that,they are pretty tough trannys. unless it's really worn out. get the linkage adjusted and tightend down, think that should fix it