• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20, Grinding Shift Rails, independant axle operation

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
Thought I'd share some info on how to Twinstick a T-case for independent axle operation by grinding shift rails and therefore still maintaining the interlock. Bronchole this doesn't really fit in your Dana-20 sealing thread, not sure if this info will be useful to you.

There's several write-ups on how to do this (Ref-1, Ref-2). It takes a bit to orient yourself with how the shift rails travel and the relationship to the interlock pins & detent balls. The guiding principal here is that each interlock pin must have at least one end in a pocket on a shift rail at all times to operate correctly. You cannot move (shift) a rail into a position that will result in at least one side of an interlock pin not sitting in a pocket. This is how the interlock system works and prevents you from shifting into undesirable combinations such Front-Low + Rear-High.

When you twinstick a T-case, some folks simply remove the interlock pins allowing each rail to shift as instructed. Obviously in doing this you remove any safeguard preventing undesirable combinations. As an alternative, you can maintain the interlock safeguard by modifying the rear shift rail to allow for independent operation but continue to have interlock safety preventing the undesirable combinations.

[Side Affect] When you remove the interlock pins or grind the rails to allow the pins more movement, you introduce an undesirable side affect that can result in Rear-Low popping out of gear. This is due to the way Low Gear detent ball pocket on the rear shift rail is notched from the factory with a ramp allowing easier movement. Under stock configuration, one of the interlock pins nestles into a pocket on the rear shift rail which when combined with the detent ball keeps the TC in Rear-Low without issue. The side affect here is that the grinding required to allow independent axle operation modifies the interlock pocket essentially removing the interlock from helping to keep the rail in Rear-Low. As a result the detent ball has a tendency to "pop" out of its pocket due to the ramp. The way to overcome this is to add on material (weld) to the Rear Low detent ball pocket essentially removing the ramp and making a nice solid pocket instead. See pics 7 & 8 for this modification.

First a little familiarization with the shift rails. In each pic, Front axle rail is on the left, rear axle rail is on the right. Interlock pins are in the middle, pin 1 is on the top, pin 2 is on the bottom. Detent springs and balls are on the outsides and control which gears are selected on both rails. High gear is on the Top, Neutral is in the Middle, Low gear is on the bottom.

Original Stock Rails
First lets look at the original stock rails. Looking at the rear rail (right) you can see that two original interlock pockets exist. You can also see in black sharpie where I ground in order to expand those pockets.
StockRails1.jpg

On to the modified rails:

Pic-1 Neutral
In this pic you see both axles in the neutral position. Notice the detent balls are in the Neutral pocket on each rail. Notice both interlock pins have at least one pocket to rest in.
PIC-1.jpg

Pic-2 Front High, Independent
In this pic you see the front rail has shifted into High gear with the detent ball nestled in its pocket. This forces Interlock pin #1 out of the inside pocket on the front rail and into the newly ground pocket on the rear rail. Creating this pocket on the rear rail has allowed for this combination where it doesn't exist in stock form. In this combination the rear rail can only be shifted into 2 positions, either Neutral (as pictured) or Rear-High. It is not possible to shift the rear rail into Rear-Low as interlock pin #1 would have to overcome the ridge on the rear rail between the two inside pockets (remember each interlock pin must have at least 1 side in a pocket at all times). Interlock pin #2 is irrelevant in this combination as it always resides in a pocket on the Front rail.
PIC-2.jpg

Pic-3 Front Low, Independent
In this pic you see the front rail has shifted into Low gear with the detent ball nestled in its pocket. This forces Interlock pin #2 out of the inside pocket on the front rail and into the newly ground pocket on the rear rail. Creating this pocket on the rear rail has allowed for this combination where it doesn't exist in stock form. In this combination the rear rail can only be shifted into 2 positions, either Neutral (as pictured) or Rear-Low. It is not possible to shift the rear rail into Rear-High as interlock pin #2 would have to overcome the ridge on the rear rail between the two inside pockets. Interlock pin #1 is irrelevant in this combination as it always resides in a pocket on the Front rail.
PIC-3.jpg

Pic-4 Front & Rear High
In this pic you see your typical Front & Rear High. Both interlock pins have at least one end in a pocket.
PIC-5.jpg

Pic-5 Front & Rear Low
In this pic you see your typical Front & Rear Low. Both interlock pins have at least one end in a pocket. With stock rails, interlock pin #2 would help lock the rear rail into Low. However since the inside pocket was expanded to support independent operation, pin #2 no longer provides that support. As a result the detent pocket for Low on the rear rail was modified (see additional pics below).
PIC-4.jpg

Pic-6 Rear rail grinding
This is the expanded interlock pockets on the inside of the rear rail. The ridge in the middle prevents one axle from being in a High gear while the other is in a Low gear.
PIC-7.jpg

Pic-7 Rear rail modification to Low Pocket
This is the rear rail detent ball pockets. You can see where material was added to the Low pocket to remove the ramp, then ground smooth to make a nice pocket for the ball to rest in.
PIC-6.jpg

Pic-8 Rear rail modifications
Here's a top view of both rear rail modifications. The grounded out and expanded inside interlock pockets (bottom) and the modified/removed ramp for the Low detent pocket (top).
PIC-8.jpg

broncokak

Bronco Guru
Great info. I just did that mod when I rebuilt my D20 this spring. I've drivien from Maine to Moab and back without any issues of the D20 popping out of gear. The reason I rebuilt it was because it was doing just that. I did purchase new detent balls and springs when I ordered my parts. There was quite a difference in the old 1968 springs and the new ones. A good 1/8th inch differance.

Now, I just had the new "pocket" put in using a grinder. Kind of a crude way of doing it and I was able to fine tune the depth with a round file . If I were to do it again, I'd take the rail to a machine shop and have it dones on a milling meching.

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
^^^
I did these with an angle grinder for the heavy work and several hand files for the finish work (flat, half moon, and round). You just have to make room for the interlock to sit, I don't think it needs a lot of precision.

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
Great write up. I too have allready done this procedure. This information would have been very helpfull. I had to source it from many places.

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
The other option I noted above in Ref-2 link is a good alternative if you have a lot of popping out of gear issues or concerns. It's a different approach to completing the same work. Instead of grinding out large "channels" for the interlocks on the rear rail, that guy added second pockets for indepenant operation. This means you leave the original interlocker pockets as-is and therefore benefit from them helping to lock the rear into low.

I looked long and hard at doing this but there's a major downside to this approach. You would need to shift your twin sticks with both hands in order for those pockets to work. For example if you were in 4 low and wanted to jump to a front dig you'd have to push both sticks back to N, then shift the front into low, do your dig, then shift back into N, then both sticks (at the same time) back into 4 low. Operating twin sticks with both hands doesn't even sound worth it to me.

broncokak

Bronco Guru
That is what I did, the seperate pocket. Works fine.

I don't think you'd need two hands to shift. You can still only move one shifter at a time. I can not shift the front to FW Low unless the rear is in FW Lo or nutral. I'm not sure if it would be the same with ref. # 1 tho.

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
Basically I found that with the particular flavor of modification that I did that if you are in 4WD low range and you shift the front axle to neutral and then to high, you could! Take a look at your particular rails and see if this is also possible. From what I can see, yup yours has the same possibility. It is mainly important to just realize that this is the case. That way you can think back on to this when you are bound up or trying to shif the rear axle when you accedently shifted the front in to high instead of neutral.

I like that you added the material to make the detents to replace the ramps.

I was pleasantly supprised at how easy it was to weld in and reshape these rails. I was concerned about how they would interact with the rail seals and guid surfaces but as long as you clen them up enough so that they are smaller than the original shaft diameter all is good.

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
I wonder what people would pay for a pair of brand new replacment rails with this type of feature on them? I could design them easy enough and sell them to the Bronco vendors. The machining is pretty simple and low tolerance.

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
Basically I found that with the particular flavor of modification that I did that if you are in 4WD low range and you shift the front axle to neutral and then to high, you could! Take a look at your particular rails and see if this is also possible. From what I can see, yup yours has the same possibility. It is mainly important to just realize that this is the case. That way you can think back on to this when you are bound up or trying to shif the rear axle when you accedently shifted the front in to high instead of neutral.
Uh oh, I think you're right. It appears these mods keep the rear rail from moving to a high/low situation, but as you described, it appears the front rail can move from L to H with the rear rail still locked in low. Same would be true in the Ref-2 approach of individual pockets. In any event grinding these rails might not be worth it if it doesn't provide the protection from the interlock pins. Might as well leave them out.

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
I does provide some protection. You must be in F&R low in order to get in to this situation. If the rear is in high you can't shift the front in to low. If the front is in low you can't shift the rear in to high. I think that makes it worth something.

SDlivin

Loc.
San Diego
I wonder what people would pay for a pair of brand new replacment rails with this type of feature on them? I could design them easy enough and sell them to the Bronco vendors. The machining is pretty simple and low tolerance.

I would be positive that you would find a market for this! I would be in for a set.
And x11 on a great write-up. Rebuilding my T-case and doing this mod is on my short list. While I enjoy doing many of my own modifications, something like this would be great to be able to purchase and install.

-Robert

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
xcntrk,

Great write-up!

Awesome pics and detailed information!

(I am in the middle of adding twin sticks to two D-20s. I am torn between making shift rail modifications and just removing the pills. If I make the modifications, I will definitely follow your great write-up.)

Take Care

Jeff

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
Thanks. More to come, next up is Tera-Low 3.15:1 gear set. Can't wait!