• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

need help cant get fule!

bigbri69

Loc.
tomsriver
tonight i tryed cranking new creat motor.new 80 gph fule pump installed motor cranks and cranks but wont pump enough fule.sometimes it will get a burst of fule then nothing.we tryed putting some air into gastank to give it some push and nothing.pulled the line off carb and its pumping.had a leak but fixed it and still the same thing.what do you guys think?thanks

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
May sound stupid but did you try reversing the polarity of the wires? Maybe it's running backwards? Sometimes you have to try the impossible.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Is it a new pump or one that hasn't been used in a while? If so, try priming it with gas first. Worked for me on an old pump that wouldn't suck up the fuel at first.

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
Sorry for the mis read on the carb. Have you tried a small gas container from your fuel pump with a 3 foot gas line?

wesleydax

floats stuck? is there a filter in the carb where the line attaches

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
maybe you have the wrong igintion timing. If the fuel pump is working and your getting fuel to squirt when the throttle is moved then the carb is fine your either flooded or the igintion timing is off.

OP
OP
bigbri69

bigbri69

Loc.
tomsriver
its a machanical pump.is there a way i may of crossed the 2 fule lines.i dident see a in and out or anything i just piped it the same way the old one was.if a float was stuck it should still get gas pumping up thru filter no?i cant even get gas to fill the filter half way?i have a clear fule filter about 4'' off the carb so i see it just spitting fule up.timeing hasent bin set yet just dropped in distributor yesterday and motor is brand new never bin fired so can i do the timeing without it starting... like while its cranking to get close anyway?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Ok thought you had gas pumping.. might try filling the fuel bowl on the carb it will run a minute or 2 with the fuel bowl filled and by then the pump shoul be pumping. Might want to check all your gas lines first make sure there are no cracks as cracked lines will draw air instead of fuel.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
tonight i tryed cranking new creat motor.new 80 gph fule pump installed motor cranks and cranks but wont pump enough fule.sometimes it will get a burst of fule then nothing.we tryed putting some air into gastank to give it some push and nothing.pulled the line off carb and its pumping.had a leak but fixed it and still the same thing.what do you guys think?thanks

That would indicate float is probably stuck in carb as mentioned. Clear fuel filter not being full is fairly normal.

OP
OP
bigbri69

bigbri69

Loc.
tomsriver
unpluged fuel line from filter and let it hang tord ground hanging from outlet of fuel pump and turned key.it was pumping good.so reconected it up to filter and it filled the filter quick then it spit from card and now back to getting no fuel again.filter is half full even when cranking it wont fill.u think its the float then?