• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Alternator not charging.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
So it's happened before and the problem was the fuse for the exciter wire. I looked this morning "it died at work" and I found two blown fuses, a 20 amp and a 15 amp. I replaced both and it still won't charge. What gives? is the voltage regulator or the alternator my next culprit?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What wiring harness?
Blowing fuses that heavy means you have some serious current flow through them, so may have an intermittent short-circuit.

And were the fuses just two you had in the same circuit, or was the 15 in one position and the 20 in another?
If two separate circuits, what are they exactly?

Paul

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
What wiring harness?
Blowing fuses that heavy means you have some serious current flow through them, so may have an intermittent short-circuit.

And were the fuses just two you had in the same circuit, or was the 15 in one position and the 20 in another?
If two separate circuits, what are they exactly?

Paul

The wiring is a complete mess, the po hacked up a painless harness and I am not sure about the rest. I found an exposed wire off of the positive battery end that may have been the cause.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Need to determine what kind of alternator. You mention voltage regulator so I assume stock 1G alternator.

Need some voltage measurements. Check each regulator terminal as well as alt output.

Attachments

• alt-reg.jpg
    alt-reg.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Ok so how about this, I have a 3G in the garage that goes to the 5.0 I'm just going to say screw it and swap the pulley out on it and run that instead of the archaic hunk of shit that I have been messing with for the last 6 years.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Ok so how about this, I have a 3G in the garage that goes to the 5.0 I'm just going to say screw it and swap the pulley out on it and run that instead of the archaic hunk of shit that I have been messing with for the last 6 years.
But... but.... but... Aren't you just a little curious about what's really wrong???;)

I have another archaic HOS sitting on the garage floor that worked just fine when I pulled it. It's your for shipping.

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
But... but.... but... Aren't you just a little curious about what's really wrong???;)

I have another archaic HOS sitting on the garage floor that worked just fine when I pulled it. It's your for shipping.

Yeah I am curious but not enough to mess with it anymore. I am just going to wire in the 3G, hell I might put in the whole motor and just put a carb on it for now...

Stand by for 3G questions tomorrow. I have duty tonight so no joy on swapping it out.