• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Holley TA 670

Moon's74

Loc.
Henderson, NV
Just some information for all the TA lovers/haters out there.

History:

I've got an 89' 5.0 with 289 performer intake, MSD mechanical dizzy and ignition, and an E303 cam advanced 4 degrees.
Started out with TA 470 stumbling all the time and loading up. Got the same story from Hollley about the 470 being too small and they sent me a 670. Same problems for just over 2 years. Plenty of jet kits, spring kits, pump cam kits, timing changes, etc...no change.

A lot of guys on here seem to have good luck with them and a lot have bad luck, like me. I borrowed a friends junk yard 1850-3, 600cfm manual choke, and rebuilt it. Night and day. Runs awesome, no hesitation or load up.

OK, so I called Holley this morning. Reggie said that the later model 670's, 670-2, have check valves in the metering blocks under the plugs on top...not removable or changable. Well apparently in the early model 670-2's these check valves sometimes, or more times than not IMO, flipped over and caused the off idle hesitation as well as loading at idle and off idle. He said the newer metering blocks have check valves that cannot flip over and this takes care of all the problems.

Long story short, he is sending me both new, primary and secondary, metering blocks for no charge and told me this WILL take care of it. I'm crossing my fingers.

Just thought I should let everyone know in case someone else needs to do this. I'll post results as I get them.

Moon's

Dlish

How do you ID one of the effected carbs? Would it say 670-2?

My 670 seems to stumble off idle once it warms up, wonder if same issue. Carb is sitting on a shelf now.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The -1 carbs were supposed to have the issues. I dont think it was a flipping over issue it was a installation issue where workers installed the check valves upside down. Of course I've never seen said check valves but in any case I just dont see how they would flip over.

OP
OP
Moon's74

Moon's74

Loc.
Henderson, NV
This information was straight from the holley tech. Maybe they are just covering their own rears. There's no specific "lot" or anything, and the problem was in both the -1 and -2.

In any case, mine is a -2 and they are sending me the "new and improved" metering blocks. Worth a call if you ever want to do anything with the carb, IMO.

fordtrucksrule

i had a truck avenger carm on my 351w and always had that issue i fought and fought and fought and could never get it to run right i went back to my quadrajet and never had those issues again. i sold the truck avenger to my friend he bolted it to his 350 and didnt have to tune it it was perfect and ran great the thing ran like a striped ape.

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
If you want to throw your unused 670 in a box and send it to me I'll make sure your bank account has another $100.00 in it? ;)

Just saying... :)

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
I can confirm the needles can and do flip as its happened to me twice. 1st time was in '08. I was sand duning and suddenly came upon a whoop-de-do. Slammed on the brakes just as the front end dropped down. pounded pretty hard. The truck ran bad from that point on. Tried everything to get it running right. Swapping parts led to identifying the metering blocks as the problem. Figured dirt was jarred loose and blocking a passage. Took it to work and had it x-rayed. The results are attached. I called Holley and they sent me a new block and I thought the issue was put to bed.

Next occurance happened in 2011, again at the sand dunes. I pulled the carb to change jets for some tuning. I had the metering block upside down and was spraying it out with carb cleaner to remove some sand. Put the carb back together and ran bad from then on. This time suspicion went right to the meter block. Another trip to the x-ray booth confirmed another flipped needle.

This time I questioned the tech guy at Holley and revealed my evidence. He claimed that Holley had just recently discovered their design flaw and fixed it with a part number change. Seems hard to believe as I figured it out 3 years prior. He agreed to send another front block out. I insisted on a rear as well even though it wasn't causing problems (yet).

My advice to anyone running a T/A is to call the hotline and get some blocks sent to ya, even if your not currently having a problem as you soon might. I've had friends run into the same problems as well.

Attachments

• meterblocks.jpg
    meterblocks.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 56
  • holley block.jpg
    holley block.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 46

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I have a 670 TA. It is awesome.
But......I had a 770 TA that just fell apart. Holley Tech. (Kyle XX) said there was a casting shift issue for awhile that they (Holley) were not aware of until they started getting returns. This casting shift caused a number of problems. This was 2009.
Holley Tech. was so cool and happy to send me a brand new carb. with out a receipt or the original box. When talking to them I mentioned that the 770 was actually too big. They said they would be happy to send me a 670 to see how that would work. Well it worked great. It just will not stumble and acceleration is much better than the 770.
BTW the old 770 TA was over four years old when I returned it.
I know not everyone has been so lucky with Holley but as for me I will never have any anything else except maybe fuel injection some day.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Guess it could flip still hard to see from the xrays but yeah bad design. Guess engineers are not always so smart. Of course I've always ran standard holleys without issue at extreme angles.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great resource you've got there Sanndmann! Thanks for sharing.
Is this an industrial x-ray setup you have there, or do you work with medical technology you can do that with?

Either way, thanks for sharing that little bit of clarity.
Cool stuff.

Paul

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I use the wifes microwave and some old school film to xray my parts.

Are you kidding me, Xray? thats awsome!

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
actually, aerospace industry is where I work. normally used for checking castings. I was suprised at what I found.

I will say that Holley tech support has been very good and helpful when I have contacted them.

OP
OP
Moon's74

Moon's74

Loc.
Henderson, NV
I guess with irrefutable evidence they have no choice but to be helpful. Thanks for the insight. I think most of us have had fairly decent customer service from them, I know I have, it has just taken them a long time to figure it out and make it right...at least I hope it makes it right. I guess they are not quite the "rocket scientist" that you are, literally. ;D