• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer Water Pump Leak - Freeze Plug? Common?

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
hey guys, just wanted to get a 2nd or 3rd opinion before I pull the water pump. I can't see really see traces of water from anywhere except for this plug and I can't really see anything with the pulley and belt installed so I'm just taking a guess that its this thing that looks like a freeze plug.

sound plausible/likely?

WaterPumpLeak.jpg

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
well once I pulled the pump I was able to see what is most likely the weep hole. I sure didn't get very many miles out of this NAPA pump. 4 years and very few miles.

WP001085.jpg

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
That sucks! Mine had 130K on it when I pulled it from the junk yard and still running strong & leak free 3 years later.

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
yeah I only replaced the stock pump for preventative measure when I put the motor in.

...guess that measure wasn't very preventative afterall.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Driving a little and sitting a lot can really wreak havoc on seals. Especially newer ones.
If, like in fungus' case, the thing already had over 100k on it, they're often going to put up with sitting a lot better.
Seems counter-intuitive, but it can happen.

Then again, maybe yours was just fitted with a crappy seal!
I don't suppose it's still under warranty by any chance, is it? Still have to go to the work of replacing it, but at least the cost of the part would be covered.

Paul

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
Yeah I suppose that makes sense. It does sit for long periods especially during my 3link build and transmission issues.

No, unfortunately I lost the paperwork but im keeping it this time around. All better now.