• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Backfiring problem

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
Got Blu out lastnight and drove to football practice, curising it would spit and spudder and backfire, if I floored it it seem to run better but as soon as you let off the gas it would do the same thing again. What do you think it could be? I guess I'll take her to the shop and have it checked out. On a side note, my youngest laughed the whole way home about it, he tickles me. I was pissed it was running crappy, but him laughing made me smile.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I would think it was running too rich. Like a little piece of crap caught in the needle valve. (You are running a carb, right?)

707Bronk

I would first check the points, then check my timing and make sure the vaccumm advance is working, then make sure I am getting adequate fuel pressure at idle and lower rpms (could be a weak diafram on the fuel pump). After I know I all three of these check out, then I would check the carb.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Pop the distributer cap and make sure there is no carbon tracking inside. Open up the points and set them on the wide side of tolerance not the narrow side that way you dont have to adjust the points all the time.