• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

HD Output Shaft Outer Bearing Race

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey,

Rather than lengthen the thread about the Dana 20 rebuild, I thought I would ask a question here about a specific item.

I am working my way through the rebuild of the Dana 20 with the TeraLow gears and a Wild Horses HD output shaft. The TeraLow gears were originally installed in the case. The HD output is being added.

I purchased the HD output rebuild kit from Wild Horses.

I had already removed the races from the rear output shaft housing. I installed the inner race that came with the HD rebuild kit. When I went to install the outer race, I discovered that the race slid down into the machined surface of the housing with very little effort.

I believe that's probably not a good thing for the race.

I checked the race that was removed previously and found that it doesn't have the same problem.

The bearing race that Wild Horses provided was a Timken 78310A. (Labeled as a "Race (Small) for Extreme Duty Dana 20 Kit".)

The orginal race was a Timken 15245.

Has anyone else run into this problem? The old race is in good shape, so I am thinking about reinstalling it. I'm just confused about why the race sent by WH won't work. (I thought that maybe I had misplaced the correct race; but, the box identifies it for the small race.)

Thanks for any input.

Jeff

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
I noticed the same thing. I too was concerned about the aftermarket race sliding down and decided to use the old one. This did not allow the bearing to seat properly and I could not get endplay to spec. I tried all of the shims that came with the kit.

I pulled the housing back out and installed the race that came with the kit. No problems in the past 3 or so years that it's been there

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Mornin' NC-Fordguy,

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's good to know that this isn't an isolate case.

It still seems kind of odd that the race would be that loose. Just when I think I'm starting to understand some of the basics, something new crops up.

Have a great Sunday!

Jeff

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Ive been told that there are products (from Loctite maybe?) that can give you a little piece of mind when dealing with situations like that. It is basically a glue that will stick the race to the housing. Might be something worth looking into.

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey addicted,

Ive been told that there are products (from Loctite maybe?) that can give you a little piece of mind when dealing with situations like that. It is basically a glue that will stick the race to the housing. Might be something worth looking into.

It's good to hear from you.

I have been reading about some of Locktite's products. One person recommended the 620 product. I'm not sure what I will find locally. I haven't got that far.

(On a separate topic, if you believe that imitation is the highest form of flattery, you should feel flattered. When I painted the transfer case last week, I intended to paint the case black and most of the other parts and pieces silver. Being that I have spent so much time in the garage the last few weeks I asked my wife to make the choice about color. She preferred a silver case and black parts. I hope you don't think I'm a copycat.)

Thanks again for your input.

Jeff

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Lol. Thats great. Dont mind a bit ;D Glad to see youre having so much fun with your rebuild. Im thinking about building another one myself. The first one was just practice. This time I have some T shift gears to go in the J case and a WH HD output assembly thats just sitting on my shelf. Its funny that the complete assembly already set up with an aluminum housing, HD shaft, and yoke is only like 20 bucks more than the shaft kit alone. Still cant figure that one out but at the same time I couldnt pass it up. Just need the speedo cable and gear.

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey,

Permatex is generally more available here, so I am trying to figure out what might work best.

I am thinking this product (Permatex High Temperature Sleeve Retainer) might be the best match:

http://www.permatex.com/products/Au...Permatex_High_Temperature_Sleeve_Retainer.htm

Other possibilities are their Bearing Mount for Worn Parts and Permanent Bearing Mount for Worn Parts:

http://www.permatex.com/products/Au...s/Permatex_Bearing_Mount_for_Worn_Parts_b.htm

http://www.permatex.com/products/Au...matex_Bearing_Mount_for_Relaxed_Fits_auto.htm

The Bearing Mount for Worn Parts must be a great product because it costs $64 a bottle.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jeff

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Huh. Not really sure which would be best to be honest. But my gut says the one with the words "permanent" and "bearing" in the name. Lol. And ofcourse that would be the most expensive. Go figure, right? Is the race loose in the housing or just easier to put in than the old one? You have to figure if the bearing is new and your set up is good then the bearing is going to spin alot easier than the race would in the housing. So unless is just a sloppy fit, you should be fine. Then again, if youre like me, "should be fine" doesnt cut it. Thats why my D20 probably cost me more than an Atlas by the time I was done. lol. Hopefully someone with more knowledge and experience will chime in. Im betting Viperwolf will have some good advice.

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey,

Not a sloppy fit. I guess you would almost call it a perfect fit.... probably only a couple of thousandths away from an interference fit.

Loctite has a stick product (39150); but, finding their products around Indy is next to impossible. I can order from Summit if necessary. In that case I lose a couple more days.

Thanks for the help.

Jeff

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Sorry I cant be more help. Ive heard of people using a punch to dimple the outside of the race at the bottom to make it fit tighter but I would be worried about "egging" it. Im not sure if thats an actually concern but I wouldnt want to chance it personally. Maybe google or bing a bearing supply house is your area and see what they recommend?

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey,

Don't apologize... you've been a lot of help.

There are several of you guys who actually make this a great learning experience. It's hard to imagine doing this kind of work without the forum (or the Internet).

I'll probably give one of the Permatex products a try and see how it works.

Thanks again.

Jeff

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Any one of the permatex products will work the sleeve retainer is probably your best bet.