• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Advice on replacing Main Tank Fuel Sending Unit

cmc

Latest problem is my main fuel tank sending unit. I have checked all the connections; ground, traced the wiring and it is still not working. I don't have a multimeter, so can't confirm the ohms. Fuel gauge displays over the full mark, so based on finding nothing else believe the resistor is the problem. Appreciate advice for changing; seems easy enough, except for removing the sending unit lock ring due to length of time it has been on the tank.

Appreciate any tips from anyone that has already done this repair?

It seems like I have enough room to replace without dropping the main tank and I plan on replacing the lock ring, o-ring and the pigtail wiring.

Thanks!

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Drop the tank and save yourself some time and frustration.

I've tried replacing the sending unit with the tank in place and have never been able to do it. You can't hold the rubber O ring in place and tighten the lock ring. Well I sure couldn't anyway. I got mad and then madder and then dropped the tank.

Spray the locking ring with PB Blaster and let it sit for a bit. I use a brass punch and a small hammer and tap on the lock ring for removal/install.

Tim

ugly74

Bronco abuser
The trick to getting the o-ring to stay in place and seal up tight is vaseline. Doesnt need a lot, just smear some on both sides and stick it up there. After everything is cleaned, of course. Its a pretty easy job.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
The trick to getting the o-ring to stay in place and seal up tight is vaseline. Doesnt need a lot, just smear some on both sides and stick it up there. After everything is cleaned, of course. Its a pretty easy job.

I'll have to try that on the next one I replace. Thanks for the tip.

Tim

OP
OP
cmc

cmc

Drop the tank and save yourself some time and frustration.

I've tried replacing the sending unit with the tank in place and have never been able to do it. You can't hold the rubber O ring in place and tighten the lock ring. Well I sure couldn't anyway. I got mad and then madder and then dropped the tank.

Spray the locking ring with PB Blaster and let it sit for a bit. I use a brass punch and a small hammer and tap on the lock ring for removal/install.

Tim & Ugly74

Thanks for the advice and info; your description sounds just like what I have experienced on other "easy" repairs. So, I will plan on dropping the tank and try vaseline on the o-ring too.

Mike

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Dumb question, how can you tell for certain it's on there, sealed..?

Had the issue w/mine, stoopid thing will just not seal. Finally put some "Right Stuff" all the way around outside of ring, lol.

I'll do it right here eventually.... maybe new O ring

ugly74

Bronco abuser
Really, theres no need to drop the tank...

I could tell it was sealed because it didnt leak fuel when i filled it. (not trying to sound like a wiseass)

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I had sealing issues before and it was due to the O ring being too thick. It was 25% or more thicker than the old O ring. The dang thing just woudn't stay in place. I ended up ordering a new one. Think I bought the "thick" O ring from Advance

Tim