• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carb Heat Soaked

cambellschunky

Loc.
Concord, NC
Hey guys, I've got a 302 with a motorcraft 2100 - I think. I can't find any casting numbers on the carb to be sure. after I shut the truck off, the heat transferred through the spacer boils the fuel in the bowl and forces it out of the jets flooding the engine and making hot starting a real PITA. I put on a standard paper felpro gasket and it blew out in under 100 miles. Can I get some opinions?

I've been trying to find a high temp gasket (steel inside w composite surface) similar to that of a exhaust manifold gasket but I've had no luck. I'm also looking into a phenolic spacer - does anyone have a good part number that will match this carb? I've also been thinking about getting a spacer to carb gasket, which is that thick felt-like material, and using it in the manifold to spacer position.

Thoughts?

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Using a thick gasket between the manifold and spacer will help but finding one to fit will be tough because the shape is a little different on the bottom and top of the spacer. I just replaced the stock spacer with a 1/2" phenolic spacer.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I'm running the THICK paper spacer with no issues but the phenolic is the way to go.

Tim

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I believe Fel Pro 60716 is the one you want. Most parts stores should carry it. If that part number doesnt work ask if they have anything that is like 1/4" thick and check that out

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Back in the 70'S I sold a metal gasket and one side went up... Dull side up I think and shinny side went down If I remember. NOT SURE they even still make those gaskets but they did help to stop the heat moving up into the carb.