• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 60 Pinion Nut Leaking Gear Oil

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My rear Dana 60 is leaking out of the pinion nut. It's not coming out of the seal, but leaking from behind the pinion nut washer. A new seal wouldn't solve this would it?

I did install a Ruff Stuff D60 cover which has the fill plug aprox 1" higher than stock and wonder if that could be the issue? ?:?

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
All I do is put RTV behind the nut and washer before torquing it down. If it was installed just "dry" then, yes, they leak there.

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, didn't do that. I'm hoping I can take the nut off and rtv it without taking the rear cover back off.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
You can take the nut off and put it back on, but while it is off I would give it a wash and peen a little of the outer thread over so they act like a locker. I use locktite and put a line across the nut and pinion shaft so I can quickly tell if it moved.

My Atlas came with a rubber "washer" that splines onto the output shaft and goes behind the nut - probably does the same thing RTV would on your situation.