• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power steering gear box leak

bbow

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ozark, Alabama
My power steering gear box is leaking at the bottom where the pitman arm attaches. How big of a pain in the ars is this going to be to fix? Advice please.

rockg

Loc.
Lafayette, LA
I just installed a power steering box, i dont know if you plan on having it rebuilt or not. The hardest part is getting it out. Remove the pitman arm, remove the pump and disconnect the shaft. And all of that was not bad, just a little bit of time and finding the right pitman arm puller, autozone has an adjustable pitman arm remover.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I have heard of it being done without pulling the sector shaft and all being done while the box is still on the frame. Do a search and ull find a few threads on it. I think on a power steering box if you pull the clip and work the wheels back and forth the pressure might push the seal right off, then just drive new seal on with the right size socket or piece of tubing.

Its common for the sector shaft to leak out that bottom seal. Take a close look at the sector shaft seal surface and make sure its polished and no pitts. If its pitted then you can use a sleeve (called a speedy sleeve or something), or you can fill the pits with epoxy or jb weld and sand and polish the repair area.