• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Do I need this

jspurl3

Loc.
Baton Rouge, LA
So I replaced my stock intake and carb with an edelbrock performer 500 set up. It ran fine before I started. Now all it will do is turn over no fire.
-Do I need this thing in the pic for it to fire?
-Also I dont use my heater so I just routed the hose from the intake to the water pump and bypassed it all. Will this be an issue?
-I dont have anything taking vacuum from the motor so the only hose I have going to the carb is from the passenger side valve cover and I plugged the threads on the back side of the intake, and the fuel line of course.

I do plan on rebuilding the carb but I thought I would atleast get a bit of fire if I sprayed in a little starter fluid but nothing. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Carb.jpg
    Carb.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 91

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
That is a smog device...so no...you don't need that for it to fire up....but make sure you have not created a vacuum leak somewhere. I would say your carb needs some adjustment or just did not fill up yet. All you did was replace the manifold and carb??

OP
OP
jspurl3

jspurl3

Loc.
Baton Rouge, LA
That is a smog device...so no...you don't need that for it to fire up....but make sure you have not created a vacuum leak somewhere. I would say your carb needs some adjustment or just did not fill up yet. All you did was replace the manifold and carb??

Good! Yeah all I did was carb intake, fuel filter, and thermostat while I was in there. I turned it over for a while and fuel was in the clear filter I installed. Then I sprayed some starter fluid in, no help. So i waited I day just in case I flooded it still nothing.

What about bypassing the heater? I started to second guess that decision... Is that just pumping coolant through the heater that back out and into the front port on the intake?

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Sounds like you have fuel, do you have spark at the plugs? If not deal with that. If you do adjust timing.

OP
OP
jspurl3

jspurl3

Loc.
Baton Rouge, LA
Sounds like you have fuel, do you have spark at the plugs? If not deal with that. If you do adjust timing.

Good point thanks. Ill try that. I didnt mess with the timing but I guess it could have be knocked around when putting in the intake.

Gotta love WILDHORSES the one thing you didnt sell to me you still help on!!

OP
OP
jspurl3

jspurl3

Loc.
Baton Rouge, LA
Yep timing was off must have been hit during install. Works like a charm, now I just need proper throttle linkage. Thanks guys.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And no, routing the heater hose back on itself won't cause any trouble.
If you still have the core installed under the dash though, it's a good idea to use water to rinse out all the old coolant and then blow the core dry so you won't have any corrosion issues or chemical leaks years from now.

Paul

OP
OP
jspurl3

jspurl3

Loc.
Baton Rouge, LA
And no, routing the heater hose back on itself won't cause any trouble.
If you still have the core installed under the dash though, it's a good idea to use water to rinse out all the old coolant and then blow the core dry so you won't have any corrosion issues or chemical leaks years from now.

Paul

Great thanks

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
Is that the intake and carb I sold you? Glad to hear they are working now. Since I had bought the carb used and never used it, I wasn't able to give you much input. Feel good knowing it runs good.

Scott

patterdale

Bronco Guru
Might not need it to make the Bronco run but may need it to pass emissions in some states. Save it for later in case.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
One thing to be aware of when bypassing a heater core. Don't let the loop of hose be higher than the radiator cap. This would allow for an air pocket you don't want.
If you keep the cap as the highest point in the cooling system, everything is happier.

Paul

OP
OP
jspurl3

jspurl3

Loc.
Baton Rouge, LA
Works great scott thanks.

And I will definitely save it, but here in Louisiana they are pretty easy going about emissions on old vehicles...