• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

t-case lube

TDubya

Loc.
Fortuna, CA
I know 40 years ago 50w was recommended for the Dana 20 and that is what I've always used. Is that still the best stuff to use, or should I be using gear lube?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
90W (actually synthetic 75W90) for many years as well.

I have a generic service manual from the mid 60's, oil recomendations were a lot different back then. Recomended oil for engines being a straight 20 weight from the factory. Recomendations of old were good when that was the limit of technology, times have changed and so has the oil.

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Well the PO seemed to think that mud and water was a good lube but Ive since swapped over to 75-90. I dont think the lubrication of a D20 requires an oil engineering degree. Its not exactly a close tolerance, highly sophisticated, piece of NASA engineered equipment. lol.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Been running 50W for 325K+ and the t case still works fine never been rebuilt. put a new outputshaft seals in but thats about it.

As for the NP435 well it can take either as well. Some early specs called for 50W other specs called for 90W. I run 50W in mine and I dont know how many miles it had on it before I got it but its a 1968 tranny thats appears to have never need rebuilt either. I installed it in 86 and have put well over 150K on it. I do put a little moly lube additive in mine as well.