• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

help truck dying while driving

68bronco289

Loc.
Ochelata, OK.
My bronco will be cruising down the road just fine and then all of the sudden dead as a hammer and I push in the clutch turn the key off and restart and drive on. Its really odd just put the ignitor and flame thrower coil and a new holley 2300 2bbl but it was doing it before with the points and old carb so I'm unsure right now what it could be electrical or fuel related.

lodgeskins

Loc.
CT
Have you cleaned out your gas tank? I had that problem once and I was sucking up a piece of solder from an old tank repair. When it died, the chunk would drop and I'd be fine until it got sucked up again.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Had that issue on the Mach 1 after installing MSD ignition. Truned out to be a loose ground (bad connection) where I spliced into the wireing harness.

Tim

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
Had that issue on the Mach 1 after installing MSD ignition. Truned out to be a loose ground (bad connection) where I spliced into the wireing harness.

Tim

Good idea and if that does not work try running a jumper wire from the + side of the battery to the + side of the coil. Remember the truck will stay running until you remove the new test wire.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Remember the test wire can knock the crap out of you so take your time and be careful.

OP
OP

68bronco289

Loc.
Ochelata, OK.
well the gas tank was an issue in the past spent a week cleaning everything really well and have had no problem with junk in the tank since, but ill check. The ground wire being loose could be a posibility when I got the bronco a few years ago there was no ground to the battery from the frame and when I would turn on the lights it would boil the battery over so I'll also check on that. Thanks gentlemen

dmill33

ignition control module

I had literally the exact same thing happen to mine last year. Turned out to be a wire connected to the ignition control module.

OP
OP

68bronco289

Loc.
Ochelata, OK.
thankyou men I wondered about the ignition switch it is a oreilly's special not put in by me previous owner did it thanks again for the feed back

Bulletman

I'm betting a bad ground or loose wire. If it's carbureted and running out of gas it wouldn't restart that easily. You are most likely losing spark to the gremlin. Good luck finding it.