• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 Reverse Vibration

dirtbikedad

Loc.
Athens, AL
Transmission shifts into reverse ok and seems ok when cold but after driving a while and put into reverse it vibrates the whole truck when you actually start moving. Any ideas what it could be causing it to act this way.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
2 possibilities I can think of.

The direct clutch or rear band are slipping. Adjust the rear band. There is no clutch adjustment.

Shifter adjustment at the trans is off making the park pawl drag when in reverse. Adjust the linkage correctly.

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had a C4 that was doing this & it turned out one of the pinions was starting to eat it's self. I hope Vipers adjustments work for you - if not then you may need a rebuild.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
if adjusting the band doesn't work before dropping the trans I would check the reverse servo. this can be pulled while the trans is in the truck but there is a special proceedure to do it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Outside the transmission...
In reverse the pinion on the rear axle moves down. This could be enough to put the U-joint into a bind. Easy check, remove the rear driveshaft and back up while in FWD (Front Wheel Drive). If it goes away it is a driveline issue, if not then transmission.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard

Wrong!
That additive is for TCCs where MERCON-V is called for. Adding this to a C-4 is a mistake. The chemical was developed for late model transmissions like the AODE/4R70W and will not cure the root cause. It could possibly worsen the condition of your C-4.

Do like Viper says... and I would add to his advice, also check the rear servo piston to make certain the rubber is still soft and pliable.