• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

will my pump support more then steering?

gd71eb

just picked up a astro hydroboost unit and want to add a ram to steering so i was curious if my pump will support it. i believe its the superduty truck pump?
psp.jpg

if not, any suggestions that would work and fit the bracket shown.
thanks

ransil

Bronco Guru
I use a 2001 super duty pump on mine, they should have a return line for the hydroboost built in.

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
A superduty pump will be fine for street use with the ram and hydroboost as long as its from a diesel with hydroboost.

OP
OP
gd71eb

gd71eb

so these non saginaw pumps only have one HP and one LP outlet. here is my proposed routing of the lines, please correct if needed.

I would go from the HP side of the pump to the HP inlet of the hydro unit, then from the hydro down to the 4x4x2 box.
my confusion is the LP side of things. if i go from the LP on the hydro to the LP of the steering box then into a cooler before it goes to the pump wont there be so issues with flow? figuring a driver turns the wheel more then they touch the brakes? really just speaking out my ass as i have really no clue of the functionality of either system but looking to learn.
thanks

OP
OP
gd71eb

gd71eb

thanks for the photo, but alas no as my PS pump only has 1 low pressure return line. i read a that a tee works?? just wanting ideas/confirmation

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
if i go from the LP on the hydro to the LP of the steering box then into a cooler before it goes to the pump wont there be so issues with flow?

How in the world are you going to go from the hydrobooster, then into the box?

You do need a Tee in the line - get a nice brass one that matches the size of the low pressure line you are using and hose clamp everything together.

ransil

Bronco Guru
A tee work Ok or next time when replacing the pump get a 2001 F-250 7.3 L pump it will have 2 return lines ports

ransil

Bronco Guru
No it will not replace an explorer pump, use the explorer pump it works, it does lack the dual ports but some have added them to the tank or use a tee

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
gd71eb

gd71eb

well i found me a duel return sag pump..... now i just gotta see about a bracket to make it all fit

OP
OP
gd71eb

gd71eb

well out with the sag pump... never found a bracket to fit it in my serp set up. ended up going back to my origional bracket in the photo with the diesle duel return pump.
does it matter where the return from the hydro and the steering go on the pump?
trying to bleed the system is making a hell of a mess. ive turned the motor over w/o the coil to push fluid into the system then turned the wheel a bunch from stop to stop. i then ran the motor turning the wheel again (10 turns ea).
with the motor on and off turning the wheel fluid is comming out the fill neck of the pump
what am i missing or doing wrong?

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
This is how I recently did mine. Remove the drag link from the pitman arm or jack up the front end. You need to turn the wheel back and forth slowly at least 40 times. About every 10 times pump the brakes a few times if you have hydroboost. Make sure to keep fluid in the pump. After a while bump the motor with the without the coil, turn it back and forth some more. Fire up the Bronco and turn back and forth a few times and check the fluid. I also had fluid spew from the reservoir whenever a big gulp of air escaped or if you turn it too fast.