• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Disc brake parts

RandyP63

Loc.
Ft. Mill, sc
I was hoping to get some information on front disc brake parts for my Bronco. I found an add on Craigslist that lists parts necessary to swap drums to discs. The ad lists everything from the knuckles out, but the guy with the parts says it was sourced from a 75 Bronco, which I know is incorrect, also he said there are no backing plates included. Bottom line, how can I tell if they are the correct parts for my application. I hate to ask a dumb a$$ question but he wants 275 for everything and it would be nice to do this for cheap. Thanks in advance.

thesnake

Bronco Guru
I answered an ad once where the guy had a 77 bronco in very good shape, auto, ps, pb, I told him via the phone I'd take it sight unseen. I get there and it's a 78. The guy was going by the sticker on the door. He was pissed because I backed out, but I didn't have a use for a 78. He swore because of the sticker it was a 77. Could possibly this is the case with the disc brake setup, the door sticker says it was built in 75 and it's actually a 76. Still, I'd be a bit wary of it.

John

Broncmeister

The 75 could have been upgraded to disc from a donor bronco or other vehicle at some time in it's life too.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Actually I beleive in 75 maybe late 75 disc brakes were a option 76 up they became standard.
To help Id the parts just check out the disc brake articles in the links section. Sounds like they may have had a GM conversion on it since the gm conversion uses backing plates where the ford version is usually refered to as brackets.
Of course the easy way is to look at the calipers if they use 2 bolts to hold them on its the GM type. Ford calipers use a wedge

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Best you familarize yourself with the disk brake options available. Basically for the front there is the stock bronco, the later year ford, and the chebby. If we had pics we could tell you what your looking at and if its complete. $275 sounds like a ok deal depending on the condition and what your missing. I got all my late model ford stuff, knuckles out, for $100 a month ago, so while $275 is ok its not a steal!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
X2 on that. And missing backing plates are a big deal. I can usually get most of the gm parts at the junkyard for less than $100.

OP
OP
R

RandyP63

Loc.
Ft. Mill, sc
Thanks again for the help. Better for me to hit the pick and pull. I rarely trust Craigslist stuff, the last time I went out to look at something on CL, the guy was asking 6000 for a Bronco with a seized motor and no title.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
There are no pick and pull's here that have anything old enough to be of any use. I actually found the parts for my swap on CL. There are always guys parting old trucks or selling axles. The kid was selling the entire axle, but i told him the only way id buy it is if he took it all apart from the knuckles out, and kept the axle. He agreed. Ended up him and his dad are local offroad club members.