• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Timing a 95 mustang 5.0

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
So I have my engine at 8* before TDC and I was going to start there, What way is the rotor supposed to point? And does anyone have a diagram of the firing order?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Is it EFI? If so 10° with the SPOUT plug removed.
Carbed, 8° is a good starting point.
Check you have TDC on the firing stroke, not the exhaust stroke. Get it wrong and it won't run. Distributor will be 180 out.
EFI distributors have a "1" on the cap. That marks the #1 cylinder (passenger front) and counts back. #5 is drivers front and counts back.

Firing order depends on the cam, what cam do you have in there?

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Is it EFI? If so 10° with the SPOUT plug removed.
Carbed, 8° is a good starting point.
Check you have TDC on the firing stroke, not the exhaust stroke. Get it wrong and it won't run. Distributor will be 180 out.
EFI distributors have a "1" on the cap. That marks the #1 cylinder (passenger front) and counts back. #5 is drivers front and counts back.

Firing order depends on the cam, what cam do you have in there?

Stock cam engine is a 95 mustang cobra and it is carbed, Dizzy is an ebay cheapo HEI.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
That's the correct firing order with the stock cam. 13726548

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
That's the correct firing order with the stock cam. 13726548

Ok, looks like I may need to tweak it a bit but I should be good to go, cam is in the right spot but I need to rotate the oil pump a bit to get it all perfect. How do I make sure it's on combustion and not exhaust?

Last edited:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Remove #1 plug and crank engine over with thumb over plug hole. Much more pressure during compression stroke than exhaust. You can also remove valve cover and look at the valves. If exhaust valve is down its on exhaust stroke.