• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine stalls when accelerating

Cready1

Loc.
Atlanta
My 73 stalls when I first push the pedal from a stop if I don't give it gas very gently, and when I am coasting and go to give it gas it will also stall. The stall in both situations is only for a brief second when I give it gas quickly (but not stomping on it) then it catches. Stock 302 with original carb, auto trans. I have recently had the gas tank cleaned and fresh fuel filters as well as checked for vacuum leaks. Any thoughts on what to check next would be appreciated....thanks

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
clean and rebuild the carb most likely the accelerator pump is not working correctly either due to a bad diaphragm or sticky check valve.
A sure way to tell is just look down the throat of the carb and work the throttle do you see fuel squirt into the throat if not the accelerator pump is not working.