• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

hardcore suspension gurus??

offroadr35

Loc.
Boulder, CO
Has anyone used a wristed arm setup in the rear?  I was thinking about mirroring the front suspension in back.  Any thoughts?  It's a trail only rig.  If this won't work i'm just gonna 4-link it.  The arms would be way cool though.<br><br>-Steve

T

teknalee

heh, i saw your post on pirate4x4.. yea i was wondering the same exact thing man.. it'd be a quick way to get coils back there. wouldn't it eliminate axle wrap? i think it would be pretty sick.. i was thinking about picking up some radius arms and wristing them then throwin them back there just like the front. didn't plan on it for awhile though so i never asked  ;) well let me know if you do it.. i REALLY want to hear about it

bronco_nut

CALL MIKE LADD AT BENT AND TWISTED OFF ROAD IN CHICO CALIFORNIA. HE HAS DONE BOTH OF THOSE SUSPENSIONS. AND I THINK HE ALSO SELLS THE KITS.

tonto

Bronco Guru
For the trouble of mounting the wedges on the axle housing and finding pinion angle and mounting the radius arm frame mounts I think I would rather invest the time in linking it up with the stock coils, if you use the conventional front suspension on the rear you still have the track bar issues to address like mounting it out of the way of the gas tank or cross member and the threaded ends on the stock radius arms make me nervous pulling on them instead of pushing on them like in the front, all of the potential issues could be addressed but I think you could link it up better with the same amount of time and effort.

INPHOBIC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kansas City, KS
Just build a 4 link. You under there fabing anyways you might as well go all out. Run you lower links from the bottom of the frame to the bottom of the axle and then run your your top from the top of the diff to te inside of the frame... Then you don't need a silly ass wristed arm!

CobyHughey_

Loc.
Fort Collins
Theoretically, a wristed arm in the rear would give unwelcome handling characteristics; but some folks have done it.  A fourlink might be a better choice, but it's more complex than given credit for to do right; the geometry takes a bit of research and some trial and error or you'll end up with something that just flat out doesn't work well.  <br><br><br>
<br>Just build a 4 link. You under there fabing anyways you might as well go all out. Run you lower links from the bottom of the frame to the bottom of the axle and then run your your top from the top of the diff to te inside of the frame... Then you don't need a silly ass wristed arm! <br>

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
I am having a hard time understanding what the need for coils in the back is for . I have so much flex in the back that I'm thinking of getting some bump stops . I can't keep removing sheet metal from the rear fenders ... I'm running out of room ! ::)

ac23

Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I agree with howie! What the hell do you need to put coils in the rear for. My rear flexes more than my front does right now. Get a good set of Betts or National 11 pack and throw them back there. If you need more flex then that go with a 4 link and coilovers.

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
You know it Rockpilot ! I've got duffy 3.5" ten leaf springs in the back and a 3 inch body lift and the leaf springs are hitting the sides of the frame ! I max a 35 degree ramp easily now that the front is wristed . I know people with coils who hate it when I do that  ;D

CobyHughey_

Loc.
Fort Collins
I can think of a few reasons; I'm planning on doing coils myself.  You get to lose the axle wrap, you get to set the amount of antisquat, you can move the axle to the rear of the frame if you want; nothing sticking behind the axle, you get a suspension peice that doesn't lose spring rate as it fatigues, you don't have the unwanted and unpredictable dampning of leaves sliding across each other.  Flex?  You can get that with either one, but flex isn't the only thing to consider when doing suspenion geometry changes.<br><br><br>
<br>I am having a hard time understanding what the need for coils in the back is for . I have so much flex in the back that I'm thinking of getting some bump stops . I can't keep removing sheet metal from the rear fenders ... I'm running out of room ! ::)<br>

bsaunder

Bronco Guru
not a Bronco by a long shot - but its got quasi wristed arms front and rear and 4 coils.<br>
MVC-008S.JPG<br>
<br><br>or with Coby's arms front and rear<br>
amigo43.jpg

tonto

Bronco Guru
I've rode in two different coil over broncos and the rears on both were way squirrelly, and both had anti-sway bars, I think coil overs are a sweet idea but I don't feel a bronco with coil overs in the rear could be a daily driver or loaded with camping gear for a few day trip into the outback, yeah you could change springs out for different load carrying capacity but that’s way to time consuming for me.<br>Again don't get me wrong I would love to install coilovers but I don't think most people realize what your giving up to run them, by the way I love what Walker Evans did with his, he ran air into them to lift or drop each corner independently of each other, way cool.<br>

CobyHughey_

Loc.
Fort Collins
If the rears on both of those were way squirrelly as you put it, they weren't built right.  Cars come from the factory with rear fourlinks and coils, as well as some trucks and rigs over the years.  The Jeep TJ is one example.<br><br><br>
<br>I've rode in two different coil over broncos and the rears on both were way squirrelly, and both had anti-sway bars, I think coil overs are a sweet idea but I don't feel a bronco with coil overs in the rear could be a daily driver or loaded with camping gear for a few day trip into the outback, yeah you could change springs out for different load carrying capacity but that’s way to time consuming for me.<br>Again don't get me wrong I would love to install coilovers but I don't think most people realize what your giving up to run them, by the way I love what Walker Evans did with his, he ran air into them to lift or drop each corner independently of each other, way cool.<br><br>

ac23

Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Coby, wouldn't a four link setup in front bind up the axle from twisting just like a stock radius arm setup does? Or would it alow the axle to twist as a wristed arm does? If it does bind it up in the same way as a radius arm, then why do they flex so well, or am I just being stupid right now....

broncorotor76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Omaha,Nebraska
Most the 4 links i've seen have the heim rod ends that allow alot of lateral motion. Plus all the 4 links that i've seen on eb's also use coilovers that allow massive amt's of travel.

tonto

Bronco Guru
<br>
<br>If the rears on both of those were way squirrelly as you put it, they weren't built right.  Cars come from the factory with rear fourlinks and coils, as well as some trucks and rigs over the years.  The Jeep TJ is one example.<br>
<br>Built right or not whose to say, I'm no linking up expert, and yes cars do come from the factory with 4 links setups and coils but I don't think the spring rates or travel or lift on cars ;) and more importantly trucks are anywhere near for example 14" or 16" Kings are or as soft of a ride as the spring rates people are using to get the travel they want.<br>The Broncos I've had the opportunity to take a ride in were great in a straight line at low & high speed but taking a turn at a moderate speed is where you get the sensation of your about to roll, the rear corners suck way down towards the ground and tended to pull up the opposite front corner.<br>Also like I said I like to still be able to load up for 3 or 4 days of camping and the coil over conversions I've seen made the Broncos daily trail rigs, I absolutely have no doubt with your abilities at design and fab you will improve on what others have tried to do, but for the average guy who's interested in running coilovers and doing it themselves I think they should be aware of what they getting into and try very hard to find a coil over vehicle and get at least a ride or try and drive it to see what there in for.<br>And I haven’t seen a Bronco with rear coilovers drive to the trail but I do see them get a ride on a trailer to the trail.<br>

OP
OP
O

offroadr35

Loc.
Boulder, CO
tonto, there is no reason why coilovers would ride worse.  In fact they should be better.  All a coilover is is a REALLY nice shock that is completely adjustable and has the spring mounted over it for ease of mounting.  The squirreliness you're talking about comes from the extremely light spring rates people use with their coilovers to get the most flex.  If you put the same spring rates on the coilovers as you have now it would be just as stable.<br><br>-Steve