• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

body lift

xbanone

for you guys out there running 2 and 3 inch body lifts.......how much does adding the lift change the ride and handeling, i am happy with the way it rides now with 33" tires but i want to go to 35's, will i be disappointed in the handeling with the lift, it is my daily driver, thanks

Addink

Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I just put a 2" body lift on, and I haven't noticed much difference in ride.  Nothing that sticks out as having gotten far worse.  I've only driven it about 3 times since I finished everything though.<br><br>Jason

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I didn't notice much either with my 2" body lift. It seemed slightly more tippy on the trails, but that could have been a lot of other factors too.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
While we are on the topic, how hard was it to put in the body lift? Did you have to lengthen any hoses or your steering shaft or anything? It looks like an easy thing to do, but it also looks like a Trojan horse. Like once you get started it ends up costing 3 times as much money and takes 3 times the amount of time of what you originally expected. Thanks in advance guys...<br>-Eric

Addink

Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
If you still have the 30-some year old body mounts, they are a PITA to get out.  If you don't have a Sawzall go buy one, cause you will need it.  Other than that, it's all a bunch of fairly minor things.  I had to make some simple brackets to drop the fan shroud down 2".  Also had to get a new filler hose for the rear gas tank because mine was too old to bend and it ripped.  The steering shaft also needs to be modified.  I was able to get away with notching the support plate on the firewall to drop the column down, and pushing the column into the engine compartment.  I also ordered the extended clutch linkage, you will need to lengthen that (or modify the automatic linkage?)  I did a 2" lift, so you may have more issues with a 3" lift.  Check out http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~i6735189/bodylift.htm  and http://www.alloffroad.com/issue/2001/april/contents/bodylift.htm for some good write-ups.  Hope that helps...<br>

76BroncoSport

Loc.
McKinney, Texas
I talked to a guy from WH on the phone the other day and he says that 76-77 unlike 66-75's don't need steering shaft lengthened b/c of adjustable sleeve...just adding more valuable info!<br><br>Jon Grayson

smorton

Loc.
Boise, Idaho
I am currently running 35s with just the F-150 springs and front/rear fender flares. I don't see much need for a body lift to run 35s unless you are running a suspension with a lot of flex. My Bronco has always been a half-cab and currently has a soft top so maybe the rear springs are in a little better shape, but in that case I would change the rear springs and front coils and add flares before doing a body lift. I had to cut a little metal inside the wheel wells, but nothing that was needed.

dse

Loc.
minnesota
I didn't have to do any mods when the 3" went in. It was very easy. The hard part was some of the old bolts were tuff.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
I ordered the 1" body lift and mounts from Wild Horses af ew days ago. I'm waiting for them to arrive at my door. I don't need to really clear anything, but I did want to bea little higher, so I thought the 1" would be fine. I hoping that I don't have to lengthen my steering shaft or anything else, that just sounds like a pain in the butt. The 1" should be so little of a lift that I wont have to worry, I think. <br>-Eric<br>

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Just an update guys... I received the 1" lift and body mounts and put them on yesterday. They went on without any real trouble, the hardest part was trying to take off the old mounts. I didn't need to lengthen the steering, or make any major mods like that. The only thing I had to do was grind a little off of my shroud (about a 1/2"). The steering shaft was hardly even affected. For those of you who aren't looking for a big lift or a lot of hassle, I would recommend the 1". It took me about 7 hours by myself from start to finish.

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Glad to hear it went well Eric!<br><br>One clarification for those who are going to do a body lift...the steering column may not need to be lengthened, but the collar at the firewall should still be loosened before you lift it. This allows it to slip down a little and self correct the angle when you jack up the body. Then re-tighten the bolts after the lift is done. It just helps keep the column from binding up. Much more critical with a 2" or 3" lift.

JMurray

2" body lift didn`t change the feel as much as the Beard seat mounts. After I put in the seats, side to side motion was more pronounced.<br>Jerry

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
[quote author=broncobsession link=board=5;threadid=5183;start=0#69378 date=1033356795]<br>You do realize this post is 3 months old don't you?<br>[/quote]<br><br>Three months old? Try 15 months old. First post was one 6/17/01. Someone was digging back deep.<br>-Eric

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
I thought it said 6/17/02. I must have just assumed that noone would post on a 15 month old post ;D ;D