• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New carb backfires, any ideas?

brewdude

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Groveland, CA
OK I searched the message board and did not find out what I needed. I installed my new Edlebrock carb and manifold, I went to start it and there was a backfire through the carb. I already checked to see if I had any wires crossed. I did move the distributer but I set the number 1 piston at TDC and lined it up, but it seemed a little off like maybe it was off a tooth. I played with it a while but could not get it perfectly. Any ideas? I hope to get this running before it gets too hot, it is supose to be 105 today. Thanks in advance.

mrcat88

Bronco Guru
Loc.
VacaVILE, CA
Reset it to TDC and make sure the dizzy is in the right place...you can blow something out on the carb if you have to much of a backfire. <br><br>You're out there working on it today? you're nutz! I was gonna....but then I went outside for about 10 secs.....can we say "pit of hell" boys and girls?<br><br>Mrcat88

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D When you get the timming right if it still dose it ck the excel. pump if they arnt working right it will cause it to back fire good luck. :D :D :D Bill ::) :p

joes75

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pittsburgh
I was out there for 5 hrs yesterday... and 4 today.... made decent progress though<br>real hot.. cant wait till it cools down..

G

make sure that both rocker arm are loose at TDC and the rotor is pointing to #1.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
If your wire aren't crossed, Back off the timing a little..and run it. Do it till you get it right