• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Side Steps/Nerf Bars

Krusher

Loc.
Brookhaven, MS
Anybody have any suggestions on side steps or nerf bars for my 74. Looked at the CARR products, but don't like cast aluminum or the fact that they mount only to the rocker panels. Plus, you would have to remove the aux gas tank to install.<br>Pictures would be nice, but product manufacturer and part number is what I need.<br><br>Thanks

blu72

Loc.
Forney, Tx
smittybuilt makes them. They attach to the body bushing mount and to the leaf spring bolt ,very sturdy. I have a set that I would part with for some 1/4 in. BC broncos rock skis

blu72

Loc.
Forney, Tx
actually smittybuilt looks as though they are discontinuing their nerf bars. the website says "while supplies last"

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
If I were going to do some sort of step, I would take a rock ski from BC Broncos or the sort, and then have a shop weld on a nice looking step that comes out the side. Then get them powdercoated. That way you wouldn't lose any ground clearance, they would be sturdy as hell, looks good, and you have rock skis to boot. To me, putting nerf bars on a 4x4 that you have lifted and made to 4wheel in is counter-productive. <br>-Eric

J-DUB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Edmonds
[quote author=EricLar80 link=board=5;threadid=7974;start=0#56208 date=1029270206]<br>If I were going to do some sort of step, I would take a rock ski from BC Broncos or the sort, and then have a shop weld on a nice looking step that comes out the side. Then get them powdercoated. That way you wouldn't lose any ground clearance, they would be sturdy as hell, looks good, and you have rock skis to boot. To me, putting nerf bars on a 4x4 that you have lifted and made to 4wheel in is counter-productive. <br>-Eric<br>[/quote]<br><br>James Duff makes something that looks just like you described. Its called Smooth Rocker Guard with Siderail.<br><br>Here is a link:<br><br>Rocker Guard<br><br>

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
[quote author=EricLar80 link=board=5;threadid=7974;start=0#56208 date=1029270206]<br>If I were going to do some sort of step, I would take a rock ski from BC Broncos or the sort, and then have a shop weld on a nice looking step that comes out the side. Then get them powdercoated. That way you wouldn't lose any ground clearance, they would be sturdy as hell, looks good, and you have rock skis to boot. To me, putting nerf bars on a 4x4 that you have lifted and made to 4wheel in is counter-productive. <br>-Eric<br>[/quote]That's exactly what I did to mine. I also mounted the back side to the frame. Now I'm going to skid plate the tubes and put in rock lights(when money allows)

G

I dont like the way that they look and they could get hung up. the wife does want them but it is my ride.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
i used the nerf bars without the built in step and added clamp on steps for the wife. I like how the clamp steps stick out and keep other people truck doors at bay.

66horse

Bronco Guru
[quote author=EricLar80 link=board=5;threadid=7974;start=0#msg56208 date=1029270206]
If I were going to do some sort of step, I would take a rock ski from BC Broncos or the sort, and then have a shop weld on a nice looking step that comes out the side. Then get them powdercoated. That way you wouldn't lose any ground clearance, they would be sturdy as hell, looks good, and you have rock skis to boot. To me, putting nerf bars on a 4x4 that you have lifted and made to 4wheel in is counter-productive.
-Eric
[/quote]

This is basically what a couple of my buddies have done. Rock skis and then tubing bent and welded on. Looks sweet! Works as nerf bars, AND the extra tubing welded on has saved some body damage for my buddies! Ill try to find a pic.

BucknBronco

Loc.
Clearwater, Kansas
Check these out also... I haven't tried them yet, but I plan to put these on my Bronco. (It's mostly a Scout site, but they make them for our Broncos too.)

www.dandcextreme.com/product.asp?pkID=47

dnc105a.jpg

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
[quote author=Krusher link=board=5;threadid=7974;start=0#msg56131 date=1029258531]
Anybody have any suggestions on side steps or nerf bars for my 74. Looked at the CARR products, but don't like cast aluminum or the fact that they mount only to the rocker panels. Plus, you would have to remove the aux gas tank to install.
Pictures would be nice, but product manufacturer and part number is what I need.

Thanks
[/quote]

depends on what u want. If you wnat a nice step and some protection and don't want to spend alot of dough then nerf bars are nice.

it you plan to crawl and generally abuse your vehicle perhaps some better protection is in order.

Just build it for what u want and forget the hype.

I love my Bronco and will never rock crawl it. It is my daily driver and I am building it as such. I also wnat to be able to get into it when I'm 70...do what suits you and your's.

8)