• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

collector plates

O

Original77

My 77 is officially 25 years old. Just got my collector plates today. This was also the last time I had to pass a smog test in Denver, CO. As long as I keep the plates current, no smog test is involved. The plates are good for 5 years. Cost about 130 bucks plus a 15 dollar emmision test. Decent deal, I think.<br><br>Hello Headers<br><br>O'77<br>

joes75

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pittsburgh
heck yeah man... I never had to worry about that inspections and emissions crap.. I'm glad too... go for the headers man!!

TOMKLU

Loc.
San Diego, Californi
I used to have vanity plates here in CA. but when they wanted more money for emissions or pollution testing I dropped them. The gov't gets enough of my money.

vbro

I was thinking of getting historic veh. plates here in AZ only it would cost me $25 each year :-U plus the emissions test each year :mad: :mad: I envy yous guys with the smog exemption<br>but congrats Original77..I say pull of all those extra vaccum line and let your rig do what it was born to do 8)

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
[quote author=Original77 link=board=5;threadid=8027;start=0#56709 date=1029363372]<br>This was also the last time I had to pass a smog test in Denver, CO. As long as I keep the plates current, no smog test is involved. <br>[/quote]<br><br>Hmmmm...things must have changed since I lived there. I used to have CO collectors plates, but they didn't excempt you from emissions when you needed to renew. (ie. you didn't have to get emissions for the 5 years that the plates were good, but after 5 years you had to get smogged to renew)

72halfcab

Loc.
North Little Rock, Arkansas
Antique plates for my 72' were only $25 here in Arkansas. It's a one time charge with no inspection or renewal required. I knew there had to be some benifit to living in Clinton's home state other than just yankee harassment. :p

MontrealBronco

Loc.
Montreal, Quebec
I don't know about you guys, but up here, collectors plate forbids you to go on the highways...You have to stick to side roads and there is no real economy in it so you don't see many of them...<br><br>BTW, what is smog testing?...never heard of it up here....... ;D ;D ;D<br><br>Jeff

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
No smog police here, We got them enforcing reconstruction laws. Too high, ticket. Tires sticking out, ticket. If the stock suspension is altered (lifted) you need a wheel alignment receipt that was done recently to pass recon or you can't get the annual safety check sticker.

MontrealBronco

Loc.
Montreal, Quebec
Actually, we also have reconstruction laws but not a lot of cops know enough to enforce them when it comes to 4x4's...What is happening nowadays is that we have had a serie of accidents with modified japanese cars and street racing so they are getting hammered...Any modification lands you in the inspection garage...<br><br>Jeff

highgeer

Loc.
Denver, CO
Yup. I paid the same amount and no more smog tests (it was hard enough getting through the first one!) ;D ;D I don't know nuthin' about any reconstruction laws or inspection garages? ?:?<br><br>$130 for a complete kit to install flame-throwers?! :eek: Hell yeah! 8) Maybe when I actually get close to bringing her to the trail beast in my dreams I'll consider that. :eek:

JMurray

Hey guys,<br>I didn`t know about this, I have been doing the tests for years. I pass. So do I just ask for collectors plates or what. I have a 66 Mustang that needs this treatment, how long do the plates last?<br>Where the hell have I been? Oh yea GOT BEER?<br>Jerry ;)

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
Nothing like going to your local smog shop and blowing 10 foot flames out the back )<br><br>Smog prices are getting out of hand now and those new exempt plates would be sweet, wonder if they do that in NV...

highgeer

Loc.
Denver, CO
Jmurray - Both your '70 Donkey and '66 Pony qualify for collectors; plates. I believe as long as you have a current smog test, you can just go to the CDOT office where you get your plates, show 'em your registration and passing smog test (for both vehicles), and they'll give you the plates right there. Of course, you'll have to pay about $125 - which is good for five years - and you'll probably get some credit for however many months you've got left on you regular plates. After that, no more smog tests for you!<br><br>Two things to note: 1) you can't get custom collectors' plates - I tried 2) each new owner of the vehicle has to pass the smog test at least once, which is actually the responsibility of the seller - you can't sell a vehicle that won't pass emissions.

75dlydrvr

Loc.
Colorado
JMurray, highgeer's right. Get the collectors plates. In fact I just found out today, that it's no longer required to have an emmission sticker. It's well worth it to me not having to mess with doing emmission testing every year. I never had any problems, but it was always a hassle.<br><br>I've left all my equipment on, because I was informed that if I were to be pulled over and the officer wanted to inspect my vehicle, I could be fined for not having the proper smog equipment in place.<br><br>I don't know if it's true, but I've never wanted to find out.<br><br>Just my two cents, hope it helps.<br><br>Take care ;D

JMurray

YEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWW,<br>My plates are up in a month anyway. Thats one less thing to remember to do.<br>Thanks guys. ;D ;D ;D<br>Jerry

callitpoison

Loc.
mtn home
[quote author=72halfcab link=board=5;threadid=8027;start=0#56871 date=1029427918]<br>Antique plates for my 72' were only $25 here in Arkansas. It's a one time charge with no inspection or renewal required. I knew there had to be some benifit to living in Clinton's home state other than just yankee harassment. :p <br>[/quote] ;D 8)well living in ar we don't have to worry about SMOG cause we don't INHALE..... ;) ;D 8)

HILLBILLYNA68

Loc.
GRAY, TN.
[quote author=callitpoison link=board=5;threadid=8027;start=15#59305 date=1030171953]
[quote author=72halfcab link=board=5;threadid=8027;start=0#56871 date=1029427918]
Antique plates for my 72' were only $25 here in Arkansas. It's a one time charge with no inspection or renewal required. I knew there had to be some benifit to living in Clinton's home state other than just yankee harassment. :p
[/quote] ;D 8)well living in ar we don't have to worry about SMOG cause we don't INHALE..... ;) ;D 8)[/quote] Good one ;D ;D ;D Especially for 3:00 am ;)