• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

lift for daily driver

G

I am about to lift my uncut 76. Since it is uncut I want to lift it as much as possible to get say 33's or 35's under there. James Duff recommends only 3.5" lifts due to tuff angles on drive lines but the other places sell 5.5" lifts. Does anyone know if a 5.5" lift would be compromising handling for a daily driver (which this is). I want to be able to keep up with traffic on the interstate. Am I asking for trouble with 5.5"?<br>Thanks,<br>Houndman :-U

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:eek: :eek: :eek: If you are useing it every day you should go for 2" lift and cut it look at your drive shaft's and think 5.5" will cost a lot over a little time and the higher you go the easier they will tip over and Duff's has been at it about 40 years he must know somthing good luck with your choice. ;D ;D ;D Bill 8) ::) :p

JMurray

I doubt 33`s would go under without cutting the quarter panels, go ahead & cut em. if you dont like, you can always put new quarter panels on. :D <br>Jerry

vbro

I'm running 31's with cut fenders and stock suppention. Alot of room still. I agree with wildbill. for a daily driver go 2" 8)

J-DUB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Edmonds
If you don't want to cut it, but want to lift it, I don't think you could get 35s in there. I would go with the 3.5" lift and 31x10.5 tires for uncut fenders.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
77 all stock, no lift and uncut, 30"x9.50" BFG MTs on stock wheels.....daily driver
bfg.jpg

For a daily driver, Don't cut it. It looks good just by stuffing alot of tire in there. I believe 33"x10.50" will fit with a 3 1/2" lift and the right wheel.
On the 2002 Lonestar bronco calender there is pictures of 2 uncut broncos with tall tires.

OP
OP
G

I already have a 69 that is cut. I bought the 76 partly because I wanted one that was uncut so I am going to leave it that way. I am looking for a happy medium between bone stock and highly modified off-roader. I looked at the lonestar early bronco calendar and saw one that I liked. I guess I will go with the Duff 3.5 with 2" body lift and just see what fits, 31's, maybe 33's if they are not too wide. I agree that Duff must know something so I think I'll take his advice. <br>Thanks,<br>Houndman

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
[quote author=houndman link=board=5;threadid=8096;start=0#57354 date=1029547335]
I already have a 69 that is cut. I bought the 76 partly because I wanted one that was uncut so I am going to leave it that way. [/quote]
Woah now! If you already have one, lift it higher or whatever you want to do. You've got the best of both worlds right now. If I had it my way I would have a bone stock uncut for daily driving and a cut up and modified one for the weekends excursions. I guess it's ultimately up to you.

OP
OP
G

I am currently doing a frame off on an uncut 71. I plan on 3.5" lift to fit 33 skinnies under there. From all my research this should work. If you need to go higher, a body lift will be the best way regarding center of gravity (leaves the engine/trans/tranny lower). The lonestar site has maybe 2 members who run 33s uncut.<br><br>I think you should think about gearing though. Mine has 4.11/4.09, so 33s don't really bother me that much. If you have 3.5 gears, I don't know that you will like it that much and you will want to go with some steeper gears at the tune of what, how much???<br><br>--Jim

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
If you go 5.5" or bigger you have to change everything! Steering linkage, pitman arm, brake hoses, track bar brackets, radius arm brackets, driveshafts, E-Brake cables, and even bushings. Basically if you don't want to completely undermine the stockness of your Bronco, don't go with over a 3.5" lift.

Loc.
Speedwell TN
on the august 2002 picture in the lonestar calender-does anyone have an opinion on the tire size/lift to that bronc?

Trevor

Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
Wild Horses used to have a list of lifts on cut and uncut and what would fit. I think it is in their intro to suspensions section. I'm sure it was in the print catalog but I think it was online too.