• Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Discuss it more here:
    http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=514932
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

CA 1966 Ford Bronco - "Museum Quality" NOT MINE - ANY GOOD?

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Looks pretty clean, October 65' build. As far as original.........not 66' hubcaps, chrome and white bumpers?, not a 66' speedometer (marks in the location?), mirrors? Missing horn button.

The 66' gurus will be along at some point :)

House

Minutia Militia
Cool looking,rig, but not sure what museum it is going too...!

Jakedog

I think it looks clean at a distance, but not $30k clean! Looks like some paint or undercoating has been sprayed underneath. I'm no expert on broncos at all, but I think $14k to $17k max!

OP
OP
S

SB_Bronco

Yeah, I can agree with the non original mirrors, chrome bumper, horn piece missing. What indicates that it is not the original speedo?

The owner has all original service manuals, engine documentation, and black plates.

He also has paperwork to prove $11,765 engine rebuild! From a very reputable speed shop in San Diego.

Dealership got the tranny wrong, it is a manual 3-speed on the tree, so numbers matching.

Anymore opinions? I agree.. I'll pay for it, but not $30.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Yeah, I can agree with the non original mirrors, chrome bumper, horn piece missing. What indicates that it is not the original speedo?

The owner has all original service manuals, engine documentation, and black plates.

He also has paperwork to prove $11,765 engine rebuild! From a very reputable speed shop in San Diego.

Dealership got the tranny wrong, it is a manual 3-speed on the tree, so numbers matching.

Anymore opinions? I agree.. I'll pay for it, but not $30.

The white mph marks are on the outside of the mph numbers on the 66' only, like in the pics below.

66interior_zps041fcf5b.jpg

66gaugecluster_zps34407f0f.jpg

OP
OP
S

SB_Bronco

Aaahhh I follow on your Speedo consensus. Great info!! gDamnit I love the forums for this haha.

Seriously though... 11,750 in receipts for complete engine rebuild, all new components, engine bay paint, and a very small rust patch. JBA Speed Shop in San Diego, CA did it and I talked with the owner of the shop. He said its the best running 170 out there now. Engine has 6400 miles since rebuild.

Would I be able to get $15-17k out of it when I sell it in a few years??

Or I might make a nice little LUBR out of it.

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Looks nice at a glance, but looks like sugar coating to me. Bottom has all been sprayed, and while the paint appears to be good quality I question what it is covering. These items are very telling: passenger rear corner (underside) and door panels, engine compartment, door jambs, seat and cargo area shows signs of what it was like before sugar coated. Not bad, just not $30K nice....but I think you already know that.

Passauf

It doesn't look any better that the yellow one you are selling .. It's tough to get this kind of money for a 170 engine no matter who built it

Jedhead

Question, is the 170 engine really that undesirable? I would figure that if you were in the market for an early 66, either original or restored back to original that's what you would be looking for. I may be a little biased since I just bought a August 65 build U14, but my plans are to get it back to factory condition, including the 170 engine. Be curious to read some feedback.

Jakedog

I've learned a lot from this website, and I'm amazed at how some guys can pick out the smallest mistakes in terms of stock/replaced parts.
I didn't know about the speedo markings.
Looking closer at this bronco makes me think something's up.
A $12k engine rebuild!! All that spent on an engine, and he keeps the rusted exhaust pipe!
Come on now, that's just bull$it!
The muffler looks like it was coated in WD40!

BRONCROB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WISNER LA.
Question, is the 170 engine really that undesirable? I would figure that if you were in the market for an early 66, either original or restored back to original that's what you would be looking for. I may be a little biased since I just bought a August 65 build U14, but my plans are to get it back to factory condition, including the 170 engine. Be curious to read some feedback.

Nothing at all wrong with the 170 IMO.Lots of folks love them and some prefer to swap in a V8 if the 6 is shot. I think it's just the part about getting suckered out of 12 grand for a rebuild that is the issue.