View Full Version : My Clutch pin just snapped!

dedgar
07/24/05, 11:44 PM
I was pulling into the garage with my young son and the bronco lurched forward as if I let off the clutch as the clutch pedal just became totally loose!

I looked and I was missing the little cotter pin that holds the rod to the clutch pedal. I couldn't even find the old pin... maybe never had it?

Went to the auto place and for two dollars she's as good as new and I have 20 more pins just in case...

Lucky I was in the garage!

Anyone else ever have that happen?

76Broncofromhell
07/25/05, 12:18 AM
Yeah it happens all the time with the stock clutch rod. Eventually the ends work-harden and break off. I'd throw the whole thing in the trash and make a piece out of 7/16" all-thread with 7/16" rod-ends and never worry about it again.

After about 4 near rear-endings when I had a 4 speed, I decided to change that rod.

Roadblock
07/25/05, 03:52 AM
yeah that really sucks i had that happen when i was 30 min from home at night hanging out after eating dinner at a steakhouse, i started it and got into 3rd and the badboy broke as i shifted into 3rd......

i tell u now i stopped for no red light, i slowed down and tried to catch it just right but twice that didnt help.......i go ther home and check under the drivers side tire and damn it was just hanging so i took a piece of wire for puttin a fence toget and wrapped it around a couple times for good measure

Kidney
07/25/05, 03:54 AM
yeah that really sucks i had that happen when i was 30 min from home at night hanging out after eating dinner at a steakhouse, i started it and got into 3rd and the badboy broke as i shifted into 3rd......

i tell u now i stopped for no red light, i slowed down and tried to catch it just right but twice that didnt help.......i go ther home and check under the drivers side tire and damn it was just hanging so i took a piece of wire for puttin a fence toget and wrapped it around a couple times for good measure

Bailing wire and Duct tape....The only true way to fix a Bronco ;)

4x4Alaska
07/25/05, 10:05 AM
I break a couple of those every year. The stock rod actually tries to pull itself out of the hole every time you press the clutch in. Look up jbfab, they have a nice Ss rod with offset ends to prevent this from happening. That's next on my parts list ;)

hucktruck
07/25/05, 10:20 AM
I had the end break off the top of that rod a couple months ago. I was in neutral at a stop light, went to shift into 1st and snap! Luckily I was close to another Bronco owners shop and I was able to fix it. I ended up putting a clevis end on that side of the rod. Works great! I need to do the same on the other end. I recommend it highly to everyone. It's definately a weak point that is sure to break at the worst time! Wild Horses sells a sweet adjustable clutch rod (as do the other houses). It's $40 but heavy duty and something you may never need to worry about breaking again.

kcmacg
07/25/05, 11:55 AM
Had a 78 CJ7, same set up on the break pedal. Was cruiseing home after work one summer, we had a real big yard along Contraband Bayou, so i never hit the breaks until after i swung into the yard. Well... pin broke, no breaks, heep ended up under 15ft of water, liked to landed on a guy in a paddle boat. had to get a cherry picker to get it out.
Now i inspect those every once in a while :p ;D ;D

Skuzzlebutt
07/25/05, 12:25 PM
BTDT %)
The road side fix with a paper clip lasted maybe a couple days. The hairpin I put in has lasted 11 years, so far. Not a hairpin for hair, but the kind you'd secure a hood pin with. It's much easier to get one of these in there than a regular cotter pin.

dedgar
07/25/05, 04:50 PM
I ended up buying a pack of pins like you use for a trailer hitch. All different sizes. I have a bunch of them and will keep them in the glove box!

DonsBolt
03/30/06, 02:44 PM
ARGGGGGGG
I just wanted to bring this topic back up to the top

It just happend to me today, what a frickin day I am having.

Driving down the street all of a suden my clutch felt a little funny, and then it just went limp. I lost the cotter pin on the top of the rod where it goes into the clutch pedal. Man they don't make it easy to get your hands in there to get the cotter pin in. I ended up bending the cottter pin in a half circle, got it in and then took a screw driver to bend the ends.

While I was in there I also replaced the bottom cotter pin, compaired to the top one it was a peice of cake.

DebosDave'72
03/30/06, 04:38 PM
I had this happen to me when I first got my bronco. I was on the way home, and a hard push of the clutch, and slam, it goes to the floor. The bronco lurches to a stop. I got it to my work by turning it off at the stop signs and starting it in first gear. When I got to work, I didn't have a cotter pin, so I just grab a nail that will fit in the hole, and bend it over so it won't slide out. Well, a couple weeks later, I am driving the bronco with my new son, and I am coming to a stop light, so I push in the clutch, and something catches, and the pedal doesn't come back up. The nail had caught another bar down there and held the pedal down. I am coasting and the light turns green, I don't have enough to get out of the way, so I jump out and and walking along side the bronco, I reach down and grab the clutch lever and pull it back out... the bronco jumps forward, because I had left it in gear. I jump back in, and get out of traffic. I check it out, and the nail is bent up pretty good, but I can't pull it back out of the hole, so I just leave it and drive home. Now this was a few months back, and I have forgotten the nail is still in there until just now reading this thread... I guess it is time to go fix that right... brb...

Dave

DebosDave'72
03/30/06, 05:01 PM
That was easy enough! Makes me wonder why I didn't do it earlier! LOL... Here are a couple pics... first is the infamous nail installed, then the fix, and then the clevis and the nail side by side
DD

Pa PITT
03/30/06, 10:43 PM
WELL I GUESS I DIDN'T GET NO CHERRY ! I WUZ IN THE PASTURE THE OTHER NIGHT DRIVING AROUND WITH A NON BELIEVER ....AND DAMN THE NAIL BROKE
HE JUST KEPT ASKING "DO WE HAVE TO WALK"" nope, not if you'll hold that light still .....well we did get home ....

DebosDave'72
03/31/06, 05:05 PM
It looks like my nail wasn't going to hold out too much longer! Thanks for the reminder guys! The nail, it has almost as many uses as duct tape! LOL glad I'm not the only one who has thought to use one!

Dave

Skuzzlebutt
04/01/06, 08:09 AM
Had a trans shop tell me there's supossed to be a bushing on the rod where it fits into the pedal. I think you'd need to remove the pedal to get one in there.